Repairing Wood Around Stucco - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Repairing wood around stucco

Hi, I'm a home repair contractor and have the opportunity to repair some rotted wood members set in stucco on the gable of a garage. However, I know that homes built between 1930 and 1980 or so use construction materials containing asbestos as a binding agent, stucco being one of those.
I've already suggested to the homeowner that he send for a diy test kit that will return results in less than a week for only $40, but he doesn't think it's necessary.
My question is how risky do you think it is to undertake the repair of these wood members if I'm certain that the surrounding stucco will be disturbed--and likely have to be repaired as well--when I replace the wood? Certainly, if the stucco contains asbestos fibers, they will be released into the air and become a hazard. Obviously, I could wet down the surface area with a spray bottle, but I still think the stucco is friable enough to become airborne even with this approach.
I need to respond to the customer quickly, so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, guys!

Advertisement

kerschk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,032

that is your call, How badly do you need the work. Recommend to the homeowner that you will not do the work if a test is not done and they will find someone who does not care whether or not the stucco has asbestos in it. Even better, you need to hire a stucco guy if the stucco is bad so ask the stucco guy if the stucco has asbestos in it. He will likely know

Advertisement

hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #3

hand drive,
Thanks for your reply. I was considering simply turning down the job, but there were other tasks to be done on this property and if I turned it down, I'm sure I would lose the whole thing. However, it's not worth jeopardizing my health. I like the idea about hiring a stucco guy since I don't have the experience to repair the stucco adjacent to the rotted wood, anyway.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:30 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is there any possibility you could repair the wood in place with something like the Abatron wood restoration products or do you have to pull it out. Abatron is not inexpensive but I have used the products for years ever since repairing weird shaped wood pieces on sailboats. You can tint the epoxy and tool it with any woodworking tools. It restores/replaces wood to structural integrity.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #5

sdsester,
I hadn't considered that since I like to replace rotted wood with new treated or PVC materials. However, in this instance, it might be advisable to try to fill to avoid stirring up the stucco.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 07-31-2012, 08:34 PM   #6
Retired Cabinetmaker

Rewards Points: 156

Build the $40 into your overhead and test it anyway. Have a provision in your agreement that the stucco repair be done by an experienced sub and not you.
If the test comes back positive then where an approved respirator and a one piece jump suit like "KC and the band" wore...........
If you take the stucco off carefully there will be little dust.
Price it to make money
Old 07-31-2012, 10:59 PM   #7

Woody,
Another good idea but I'm afraid I'd have to charge too much if I have to sub it out plus purchase the "KC"-wear and aspirator. Haven't heard back from the customer anyway, after having told them two days ago that I wouldn't do the job without having the stucco tested first. So, I guess it's academic at this point. Thanks for your input, though!

Advertisement