Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

repairing plaster

I would love it if someone could make sense of the large number of different materials and techniques available for plaster repair. I have a 1930 home and just finished scraping off old wallpaper. Got most of the glue off and now I am faced with conflicting advise about how to proceed with repairs. One person told me to apply an oil-based primer first to promote adherence and then start repairing cracks and skim coating with all purpose pre-mix joint compound. Online sources seem to indicate that the setting-type compound is the way to go for best adherence to old plaster and hardest finish (of course there are 14 or so different types of setting-type compound to choose from). Can someone give me the skinny on what would be the best way for a motivated do-it-yourselfer but highly inexperienced plasterer to proceed? Product recommendations would be much appreciated as well. Thanks!

aliG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 02:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

repairing plaster

What kind of problems do you have with the old plaster??<P>

There is a mesh material, (similar to the fiberglass mesh tape for drywall joints), that comes in 3' rolls and you can just replaster the whole wall. I think there is a thread around here with some info on that. I'll look for it too. <P>

My mix for holes and cracks is<P>
1) Mortar mix. Same as the bricklayers use. It can be bought with sand alreadey added for small projects.<P>
2) I add 5-10% portland to the mortar to make it stronger. Exact measurements are not that important.<P>
3) I add about 10% tile thinset to give the mix better bonding ability.<P>
4) I add a little drywall fast set. 1/2 cup of fast set will accelerate a 5 gal bucket of mud. <P>
5) Coat as needed and top off with some drywall compound.

This mix has always worked well for me but there are probably other products that work also. The mix is very close to what plasterers used in the 40's and 50's. <P>

I'll check back with you. I've done a fair amout of plaster work because i like old houses and I think most plaster can be repaired to last a couple of hundred years. HS..

K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

repairing plaster

I'm hoping to avoid doing the entire wall because A) most of the walls are in pretty good shape and B) I'm afraid it will end up looking like a three year old did it. What I have are the inevitable cracks from age and gouge marks from wallpaper removal. I have a basic plan for cracks: sand around area to recess it; widen the crack and fill in with some form of plaster/joint compound; lay over mesh tape; finish off with a layer of some form of joint compound; sand if necessary. Your recipe sounds good but intense. There must be something similiar already put together. And what do you use to finish off?
aliG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

repairing plaster

Yea, I guess I'm just to used mixing my own so it seems simple to me. Hopefully someone will be along with some premixed ideas. HS.
K2eoj is offline   Reply With Quote