Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #1

Share |

Repair Cracked Tile

I have some cracked tiles in my bathroom floor, shower surround wall, and outside the shower surround wall. This tile was installed in the '30s and I don't want to get into replacing tiles but do want to improve the appearance. I was thinking about filling the cracks with something and painting over the fill. I also want to keep this inexpensive and so do not want to hire a pro to reglaze everything.

So do you think the fill and paint idea is my best bet? Are there better solutions? What would you use for fill and what kind of paint? Some of the tiles are on the floor and will get traffic and some are on shower walls and will get wet. I'd appreciate any helpful advise you can give. Thanks.

MilesIsNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #2
DIY staff

Repair Cracked Tile

I would think an unsanded grout would be the best bet---that is designed for tile--

Another,more difficult , solution is two part epoxy --using powdered tempura paints for coloration--

Old 01-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #3

Repair Cracked Tile

Thanks for the reply oh'mike.

I should have mentioned that the tile has a two color mottled appearance. I was thinking I'd put the lighter shade down first and then sponge on the darker on top.
MilesIsNowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
DIY staff

Repair Cracked Tile

Grout comes in every color under the rainbow----if you know how to post a picture--that would help.

No paint will hold up--so it's grout or epoxy as I see it---the epoxy might be the cheaper bet if you can find colorant cheaply--