Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #1

Share |

Removing walls

Good day all.

Thanking all in advance for any ideas.

We have just recently purchased a 33yr old bungalow and wish to make main level open concept thh removing all walls around kitchen/dining room/living room.

After speaking with an inspector, 2 handymen and a carpenter (and receiving different answers) I decided to remove the gyproc and see what was under the board.
I'm thinking the wall in kitchen is not load bearing as all 2x4, space between top of wall(with drywall above space) and nothing doubled up other than door frames.
There is a big I-Beam running full length of basement and roof trusses are manufactured (support trusses) according to previous owner.

I'm hoping to not get a structural engineer and am including some pics for the pros to peek at.
Any ideas/recommendations much appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Removing walls-_dsc1287.jpg   Removing walls-_dsc1288.jpg   Removing walls-_dsc1289.jpg   Removing walls-_dsc1298.jpg   Removing walls-_dsc1291.jpg  

Removing walls-_dsc1295.jpg  

stevec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
Disabled wood vet

Removing walls

It looks like those trusses are designed to span the total distance so removing the wall is not an issue. I'm sure this is the general consensous among the inspector and the carpenters, is it not?

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-27-2011), oh'mike (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 03:56 PM   #3
Retired carpenter

Removing walls

The walls you tore down are not load bearing walls.
abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #4

Removing walls

Home Inspector was the first one to say remove any walls on main that we wish.

Thanks Much
Old 12-27-2011, 04:43 PM   #5

Removing walls

Thanks Greatly.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

Removing walls

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. DIYChatroom.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any home improvement task!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (12-28-2011), Big Stud (12-27-2011), gregzoll (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Removing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec1 View Post
Home Inspector was the first one to say remove any walls on main that we wish.

Thanks Much
That is like listening to the kid at Mickey D's telling you how to fix a gourmet meal, or going to Lowe's and having one of the kids stocking the shelves there tell you how to build a house.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
woodworkbykirk (12-28-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 06:09 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing walls

Yup. Save a few pennies and definitely do not call in a structural engineer or an architect. Trust the box store apron people more than any others.

Just out of curiosity. Why did you buy this place if your goal was to strip it of its inherent character?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Removing walls

sdsester, I would have at least done it also. The worst thing is to cut the Kitchen off from everyone else, plus they are probably if you measured it, looking at a very small Kitchen space. When we get our upstairs built, I am taking out the wall between our living room and the front bedroom to open that up. I think that the OP place would look great once done, and would like to see pictures of it after they are done.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #10
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Removing walls

looks like structural trusses, to me. though I may run a 2x6 or 2x8 strong backs down both sides to be safe.
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing walls

I've said it before and will say it again. Architects are not just for the rich. This project looks like some inspector or agency is going to want to see drawings before passing it. An architect called in now is going to save loads---maybe tons of money and aggravation on this project. Of course orange and blue apron folk at box stores have the same capability.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Removing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
looks like structural trusses, to me. though I may run a 2x6 or 2x8 strong backs down both sides to be safe.
Come on Coupe. The structure looks fine but do you or I have a clue as to what, for example, it all sits on? You sure you want to add 2x6 or 2x8 timber on the edges if there are but foam cups for foundations support? I assume given the images of the trusses their is a real foundation. Haven't seen it though. I sort of hate these post where we only get to react to the immediate parts of a project without a look at the real bones of a house.

Last edited by user1007; 12-27-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #13
Too Old

Removing walls

Looks to me like they are 2 point trusses.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
journeyman carpenter

Removing walls

ok number one... big box store employoyees are normally useless when it comes to asking questions about removing structure... especially the young ones. secondly without them seeing what you doing they have no way of knowing what exactly is there.. this is why there are professionals such as myself.. i do this sort of thing on a regular basis and when i do we have a engineer come in and take a quick look at the start, then we remove the drywall and plaster to expose the framing and then the engineer comes back for a closer look only then can you say yes or no to removing walls without putting in beams.

now no more ranting.. based on what im seeing there it definitely looks like you have clear span trusses. it also clearly shows that the wall you want to take down was put up after the fact as the drywall is installed over top of it by the looks of things
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:58 PM   #15
Retired carpenter

Removing walls

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
I've said it before and will say it again. Architects are not just for the rich. This project looks like some inspector or agency is going to want to see drawings before passing it. An architect called in now is going to save loads---maybe tons of money and aggravation on this project. Of course orange and blue apron folk at box stores have the same capability.
You don't need a permit or an inspection to remove partition walls like these. The OP is welcome to spend money on an architect, but the fact that those walls don't go all the way up against the trusses leave no doubt as to whether they bear any loads or not (not). Those partition walls were framed correctly: trusses should not have walls up to them to "help" with bearing their load. I think that if you did, the trusses would become indeterminate systems (or something like that) and you would not know any more which members of the truss are in tension and which are in compression.

abracaboom is offline   Reply With Quote