Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?

Hi so we removed part of a wall in the kitchen, well the contractor did.

This is for a condominium and the entire room with living/kitchen is about 450 sq ft (25'x17')

He said that it's not supporting or load bearing... I just want to get a few tips to double check and learn a little more about this.

One thing that did concern me is that the joists above are perpendicular to this wall.

The original wall divided livin/kitchen but only ran through half the room

The condo is 2 stories and the pitch of the roof is perpendicular to this wall. there's a wall that runs across from one side of room to other perpendicular to this wall that we removed.

The pics attached paint a better pic. Thanks!

attached are images
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-5.jpg   Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-3-2-.jpg   Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-1-2-.jpg   Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-2-1-.jpg  
Attached Images

crayola110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #2

more pics!

bottom are before wall removed
Attached Thumbnails
Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-1-3-.jpg   Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-1-5-.jpg   Removing Wall - Retaining, Supportive, load bearing or Foundation?-photo-2-3-.jpg  

Last edited by crayola110; 12-30-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #3

Yes, it is load bearing, carrying your ceiling joist still insulated. You also have the joist hanging from a single header joist (or blocking) in the last pic of first post, which now may require double or triple plus hangers, depending on span/loads. Yo-yo jerked the wall top plate down rather than cut between the joists on the very top plate and split the end grain of the remaining little blocks to remove the toe-nails from the joists rather than rip away the sides of the joists. He really shouldn't be doing this work, IMHO, not understanding basic framing...

Gary
PS. What is the span of the bearing walls? Any attic pics, the rooms do nothing.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 12-30-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary in WA For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 04:21 PM   #4

There's no attic.

It's a condominium (1963 apartment) and 2 story. I'm on first floor of a raised foundation. Each unit is approximately 600-700 sqft 10 units total.

Above me is another condo.

the last 2 pics are of the room with the wall between kitchen and living

The wall that goes all the way across (perpendicular to this wall and right underneath the pitch of the roof) is about 25 ft.
this wall between living room was about 9 feet but doesn't span across whole room

Also are you sure this is load bearing? The "post" at the end of this wall is just 2- 2x4s and the wall just had 2x4s spaced about 18 inches?

I'll have a talk with the contractor...he's licensed from what I can tell....

thanks for you help

I'm going to get a second opinion in a few days after NYE but any other comments would help. thanks

Last edited by crayola110; 12-30-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Civil Engineer

The typical load bearing wood framed wall in the United States is 2x4's spaced 16 inches on center. On more modern construction, the wall is framed with 2x6's, not for the strength but to provide more room for insulation. So the wall that was removed was certainly typical of a load bearing wall.

Non-load bearing walls are also typically framed with 2x4's 16 inches on center, so the size and spacing of the studs is not definitive. However, the fact that your joists run perpendicular to the wall is a good indication that the wall was load bearing. I suggest you have a lengthy conversation with the contractor to verify EXACTLY why this individual thinks this (was) not a load bearing wall.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Thanks I guess we'll see on thursday what the deal is. I'm having a Commercial property inspector come see it.

thanks for tip Daniel I didn't know that a load bearing wall could just be made of those thin 2x4s.

One other thing this wall doesn't span the entire room. It was just where cabinets were on in the old galley kitchen if u can see in the pics.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #7

Gary, could you be more clear why you think this is load bearing? I'm not really following your post. Perpendicular walls suggest, but don't prove, it's load bearing. But the fact that the wall only went half way across the room suggests it's not.

Last edited by jeffnc; 12-31-2013 at 07:01 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
crayola110 (12-31-2013), eandjsdad (01-01-2014)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

So it turns out that this was not a load bearing wall.

I went over there and met with the contractor. Those are actually not floor joists from the upstairs like we thought. The 2x4s that run perpendicular to the removed wall are actually just blocks that were originally for a place to attach this wall to. They're only 16 inches long between the actual joists. I suppose this wall is merely forwere used to hang kitchen cabinets from.

Sorry in my first post I said these were perpendicular joists. They are not joists as I just mentioned.

Gary, in the last pic of the first post that "block" is actually the parallel joist that runs 17 feet through the entire room with no support.

My bad!!

Last edited by crayola110; 12-31-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #9

in my experience, ANY structural work done inside a condo requires professional stamp'd drawings, bldg. permit, AND condo assoc permission,,, possession of any of the previous neither negate /mitigate your liability NOR that of your insurer

if you hear it from a guy in the apron store, be VERY suspicious the mtl/method will work,,, when it time to build something together, they won't answer phones NOR help
itsreallyconc is offline   Reply With Quote