Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2008, 07:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing textured finish from kitchen cabinets

Bought a house - the kitchen cabinets are solid and roomy, but the previous owner applied a heavily textured finish that looks hideous. It also feels like 60-grit sand paper. I plan on building new doors and drawer fronts. Anyone have an idea on the best way to remove this textured finish from the face frames?

We want a smooth surface to paint over. I could build new face frames, but I don't think I it's worth the effort to try to remove the existing frames. We are trying to do this with minimal disruption to the kitchen - don't want to remove the cabinets from the walls. Do you think scraping will be sufficient to remove the texture, or will a stripping solution be required? Not sure I like the idea of using a stripping solution on the cabinets while in place in the kitchen, especially with two new babies in the house.

jbwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would help if you mentioned what material the textured item is made of. Paint? Joint compound? Painted joint compound?
You want to minimize trauma to the wood or you'll spend more time filling the divots then stripping the frames.
If you're concerned about the kids, keep them out of the space. The area should be sealed off from the rest of the house.
You need to know what it is before you can remove it effectively with the minimum amount of dust. Paint remover is better then dust.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

I'm not really sure what the texture is. It does not appear to be joint compound. It's an ugly greenish-brown color. More like a heavily tinted glaze with sand embedded. It's glossy, and quite rough - not at all what I would expect from paint applied over a sprayed texture.
jbwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #4

Hi, starting a project. I want to restain my kitchen cabinets. My husband said they are wood, and they have a shiny coat. What are the first supplies need. My boss suggested 300-400 sand paper. does someone have a list of products that i would need to get started. This is all new to me but I have extra time and it looks so easy on the TV programs. I would like to keep the wood look, but go alittle darker color, but not too dark.
Rmaldonado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmaldonado View Post
Hi, starting a project. I want to restain my kitchen cabinets. My husband said they are wood, and they have a shiny coat. What are the first supplies need. My boss suggested 300-400 sand paper. does someone have a list of products that i would need to get started. This is all new to me but I have extra time and it looks so easy on the TV programs. I would like to keep the wood look, but go alittle darker color, but not too dark.
Best to start a new thread.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

In my old house, I'm first washing woodwork with denatured alcohol. In many places that dissolves a top layer of shellac and getting that out of the way makes removing an oil-based stain in step 2 much easier. Of course, you may not have shellac. An easy way to find out is to try washing with the alcohol and see what happens. If it gets soft or gummy its not shellac. If anything dissovles easily and wipes away without much effort then you probably do.

http://www.google.com/search?q=stain...affe93747c32d0
steveel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steveel For This Useful Post:
Rmaldonado (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #7

So I heading to Home Depo-to get supplies, bathroom cabinets might are same as kitchen, fading, etc. Thinking might try those first.

Rmaldonado is offline   Reply With Quote