Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:21 PM   #1

Share |

Removing Subfloor seem to have a little problem and have some questions

Hi

I took it upon myself to want to remove the old 5/8's OSB Sub-floor as it has major water damage and squeaks and has maybe 15 screws+Nails holding it together.

I have started out fine but my reciperating saw/Circular saw can only get so close to the stud wall(Sole Plate)

So It's been cut on a slight angel

Now I went and bought a new 2x8 to double up the other one so I can have a place to screw the new 5/8's plywood down along that wall as I would not have anywhere(schluter ditra says 5/8's will do fine) Spoke right to owner

2x8 Joists 16" OC

The Sub floor in the hallway is 5/8's too so I wanted everything the same height+Ditra will add some thickness and the 13x13 tiles to

Should I just leave the little bit of old 5/8's along this wall or is there another way beside getting a Toe Kick saw to remove it possibly a saw blade made for a reciperating saw.

When striping a old sub floor usually right to the joists do you ever get the 1"-2" under the Stud sole plate too.

I thought I would ask as I'm not really sure and don't know who else to ask on this subject.

Thanks

Any help would be great

K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Not my area of expertise, but I would think the 2"x8" you add would be sufficient to control any "flex factor" that would cause the tile to crack. Lots of glue and screws/nails will ensure a good bond of the two framing members. If you're concerned, you might want to try one of the new "multi tools" on the market for flush/under cutting. They are very handy for a variety of uses. The Dremel runs about $100.00 at HD or Lowes.....

Old 09-20-2009, 08:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
Not my area of expertise, but I would think the 2"x8" you add would be sufficient to control any "flex factor" that would cause the tile to crack. Lots of glue and screws/nails will ensure a good bond of the two framing members. If you're concerned, you might want to try one of the new "multi tools" on the market for flush/under cutting. They are very handy for a variety of uses. The Dremel runs about $100.00 at HD or Lowes.....

That Does not should like a bad idea at all thanks a lot

I could cut the OSB straight to the wall or as close

I saw that tool at the wood working show and didn't think anything of it but as what is that noise over there.
K.M.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Drywall contractor

If you get one you'll wonder how you ever got along without it.