Removing A Large Mirror - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2008, 01:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Removing a large mirror

What's the best way to remove one of those large, 80's style frameless bathroom mirrors? I'm planning a light remodel of my bathroom, and am curious how to get it off. Thanks, Mike

Advertisement

Mr. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:48 PM   #2

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Michael View Post
What's the best way to remove one of those large, 80's style frameless bathroom mirrors? I'm planning a light remodel of my bathroom, and am curious how to get it off. Thanks, Mike
The first thing that I would do is put 2" or larger tape diagonally and vertically across the mirror. Good ole 200 mph duct tape will work great. This will help keep it stable while handling it. Also, there are suction cups that they use to handle large plate glass windows. You can find them at rental facilities. These can be very helpful.

There should be fasteners on each corner and in the middle of the top, bottom and sides. Remove these and the mirror should come down easily. I would recommend using no less than two people.

Caution: Broken mirror is very dangerous. Please be extremely careful.

Advertisement

Last edited by Handyman50; 03-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Handyman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #3

Removing a large mirror

sorry, should have mentioned, no brackets or fasteners. it's probably just glued up. any other hints?
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #4

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
sorry, should have mentioned, no brackets or fasteners. it's probably just glued up. any other hints?
In this case, I would say that a good glass cutter would be your favorite tool. It would be easier and safer to free small pieces from the wall than one large one. It is likely that the surface of the drywall under the mirror will be breached. Therefore, you may have to replace it, also. This, of course, will be determined by what your plans are for the wall.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Removing a large mirror

I just took one out. I tried to stare it down for a couple weeks prior to going after it....that didn't work. I thought it was going to be a fight with even odds. It turns out mine (about 5' x 4') was sitting in a channel along the bottom of the mirror with some adhesive to hold it against the wall. I did the tape across the mirror, and gently used a wonder bar to get behind the mirror. The adhesive spots came loose relatively easy and then I just lifted it out of the channel. I built it up to be a major PITA, and it turned out it took about 5 minutes to get it out.
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #6

Removing a large mirror

Steve1234, good job. The staring didn't intimidate you.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM   #7

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1234 View Post
I just took one out. I tried to stare it down for a couple weeks prior to going after it....that didn't work. I thought it was going to be a fight with even odds. It turns out mine (about 5' x 4') was sitting in a channel along the bottom of the mirror with some adhesive to hold it against the wall. I did the tape across the mirror, and gently used a wonder bar to get behind the mirror. The adhesive spots came loose relatively easy and then I just lifted it out of the channel. I built it up to be a major PITA, and it turned out it took about 5 minutes to get it out.
that sounds like the exact same situation as mine. channel along the bottom, glue on the back. hopefully, my adhesive will come loose as forgiving as yours. i agree with the staring...that's one ugly mofo' staring back at ya.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:35 AM   #8
Fixer-'til-broker

Rewards Points: 250

Removing a large mirror

I'm still staring at mine and it's not working either. That guy keeps giving me the finger!

You can get the suction cups cheap at Harbor Freight.
Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 150

Removing a large mirror

yea, the staring part scared me way more than it scared the mirror.....
steve1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:06 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman50 View Post
In this case, I would say that a good glass cutter would be your favorite tool. It would be easier and safer to free small pieces from the wall than one large one. It is likely that the surface of the drywall under the mirror will be breached. Therefore, you may have to replace it, also. This, of course, will be determined by what your plans are for the wall.
Ok, so before reading this thread, I thought "remove the mirror, apply paint, hang new mirror" No prob!! I can do this during the muchkins naptime!! Now you have me worried! What is "breached drywall?" why do I have to replace it!! and how much is this going to cost!! I am a woman who loves to try and do my own home remodels (major word here is try) and I try very hard to not bring my husband or the checkbook into play as much as possible!! (except for heavy lifting and cute shoes) Can someone please explain just how big of an undertaking it really is going to be for me to remove two mirrors (one is 4x5 and the other 6x5) that are glued to a bathroom wall?
Thank you kindly!!
willingtotry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #11

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by willingtotry View Post
Ok, so before reading this thread, I thought "remove the mirror, apply paint, hang new mirror" No prob!! I can do this during the muchkins naptime!! Now you have me worried! What is "breached drywall?" why do I have to replace it!! and how much is this going to cost!! I am a woman who loves to try and do my own home remodels (major word here is try) and I try very hard to not bring my husband or the checkbook into play as much as possible!! (except for heavy lifting and cute shoes) Can someone please explain just how big of an undertaking it really is going to be for me to remove two mirrors (one is 4x5 and the other 6x5) that are glued to a bathroom wall?
Thank you kindly!!
My comment wasn't meant to worry you. The problem with using any kind of adhesive on drywall is, it may damage (breach) the surface. If the surface is damaged, it means that some repair may be necessary. The main thing is to be as careful as possible when freeing the mirror from the wall. This is why smaller pieces would be better and safer, IMHO.

Git'er done!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #12

Removing a large mirror

well, I finally got mine off. didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. I got to break out the hammer and go nuts. basically, I used duct tape to hold it together, and just slammed one section at a time, then took off the broken pieces of glass. (use gloves here, obviously). I had about 8 sections of "breached drywall" where the adhesive took off the top paper layer. however, I was able to use some spackling compound and some paint and some patience and it looks great.
I also got the new lights up, next up is the counters and floor. Will post pics...
Old 03-29-2008, 12:46 PM   #13

Removing a large mirror

Quote:
well, I finally got mine off. didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. I got to break out the hammer and go nuts. basically, I used duct tape to hold it together, and just slammed one section at a time, then took off the broken pieces of glass. (use gloves here, obviously). I had about 8 sections of "breached drywall" where the adhesive took off the top paper layer. however, I was able to use some spackling compound and some paint and some patience and it looks great.
I also got the new lights up, next up is the counters and floor. Will post pics...
Glad to hear everything went well for you. As the saying goes, "All is well that ends well, I spose"!

Yes, spackle or drywall mud either one will patch any damage to the drywall surface.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 25

Removing a large mirror

I was just about to ask the same thing. I will be trying to remove this mirror (in red box) which is about 5'x8' or so. I'm pretty sure it is all once piece also. There are a few vertical mirror strips on top of the big mirror. One of the 'strips' fell off while I was having roofing work done. It does look like there is a bottom channel on this one like some of you had as well.

Did you try to remove the bottom channel first? or just try to pry the mirror off the drywall first? I'm repainting that room so I don't mind if I have to do some drywall / spackle / sand repair work after it's off.

What was that 'wonder bar' that someone used behind the mirror? I'm thinking of cutting down the mirror into smaller parts for re-use after it's down, but I feel like it would be safer not to cut it while it's on the wall.

Thanks for any other tips on a mirror this size.

Jeff

Jeff DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #15
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Removing a large mirror

Safety first. Someone on another forum said a friend or family member died removing a mirror. It broke and cut an artery in their arm. Person died before rescue could respond.

Don't know if this is true or an urban legend, but I would recommend safety glasses, heavy gloves, long sleeves, and to tape the heck out of it before beginning.

I have also read rather than prying it off a piano wire run behind it can be used to saw it off.

No personal experience removing one here. The only one I've had to deal with jumped off on its own. A loud crash in the middle of the night and it was on the floor.

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote