Removing Interior Window Trim - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing interior window trim

Hi all. I'm chest deep in the middle of a complete gut kitchen renovation and looking for some help. I'm stuck on how to handle the windows. The house is an old house, with cinderblock exterior walls, 1x strapping attached to the block, and then drywall/plaster attached to that. We have removed the drywall and most of the strapping. What you see in the first picture is what's left.

We are building a stud wall so we have enough wall depth for electrical boxes, NM cable, and a plumbing vent in the new layout. And adding some insulation. So my wall depth is going to grow by 3 inches. Thus I need to replace the stool and jambs with longer pieces. As you can see in the second picture I broke the stool already, while removing the trim piece underneath it. As you can also see there is quarter round against the window frames themselves. The windows are modern vinyl double-hung units, just a few years old. While trying to remove the quarter round the vinyl frame of the window was moving and bowing and I didn't want to break it.

How do I remove this quarter round without damaging the windows? And it I remove it there is no chance that the window will come out will it? I'm pretty sure they replaced the windows from the outside when they were redone (by previous homeowner).

Also I want to remove the strapping around the windows but am not sure if the window or the window frames might be attached to them somehow. Is anyone familiar with this type of construction?
Attached Thumbnails
Removing interior window trim-img_1903_resized.jpg   Removing interior window trim-img_1902_resized.jpg  

Advertisement

paulyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,848

There is a good chance that your windows are replacement windows and not new construction windows. There is also a good chance that the 1/4 round is holding your windows in place. Maybe you can pry the 1/4 round up with a very small flat bar or pry bar. Pry a little in one place then keep moving around prying a little at a time and maybe you won't harm the window. Be prepared just in case the 1/4 round is holding the window in, you don't want the window to fall out.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:15 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,336

For trim removal,I like to use a heavy duty painters tool---The thin blade easily slips under the trim--

When locate a nail you can tap on the tool and cut or pull the nail from the inside--

Get one and give it a try!--Mike--
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-21-2010)