Removing A Chipped Tile On A Current Install - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Removing a chipped tile on a current install

Four days ago I layed porcelain tile on drywall using thinset mortar. When I went to remove the shims which were holding the tiles in place, chunks of the tile chipped off at the bottom on one of the tiles. Unfortunately, this will show and won't be covered by anything! Can I try to remove that single tile or will the drywall just be destroyed? I'm just sick about leaving something like that. It will make a brand new job look bad.

Advertisement

JAN GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Very odd that a porcelain tile would crumble like that. These tiles are incredibley hard. The spacers should have been removed after the first 24 hours. There's no need to keep them in place for that long. The thinset might still be soft enough to remove the tile. If you can't pry it off, cut it with a grinder into sections and pop it off.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

TO: RON6519

If I am able to remove the tile, what kind of shape will the drywall be in?? That's my concern. It's an 18x18 tile and I don't want to pry it off if the drywall will be totally shot. I forgot to mention that there's no tile above this one as I haven't layed the bullnose above it or grouted yet.

JAN GM
JAN GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 06:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might need to replace a section of drywall. It all depends on how dry the thinset is and your ability to remove the tile. The edges will be dry, but the deeper you go into the tiles middle, the moister it will be as the tile is so dense. The longer you wait, the harder it will be.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote