DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing ceiling mounted cabinets

10K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DaVinci 
#1 ·
Hi -
I am working to convince my husband that we can update our 70's kitchen with cabinet and wall paint. Also I am considering removing a line of cabinets that are mounted to our ceiling and that separate the dining room and kitchen. They connect to a row of wall mounted cabinets and I know we would have to finish that out with sheetrock.

The problem is that the vent hood and gas cooktop are located in the area that I want to change. The counter top is very wide and the gas cook top is fine to remain where it is. I do have concerns about a few things: a) could there be a load bearing issue that needs to be addressed and b) could an encasement be built around the present vent hood or would it have to be replaced with a chimney style?
In order to do any of this, we would have to avoid any major expenses.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
Based on the phots there is no load bearing in the area described. The "soffit" was designed to hide the duct work for the hood. Be aware, soffits are also where plumbers and electricians run their goodies.

Your options for the hood are:
1. A chimney style hood,
2. Change to a down draft,
3. Get really creative with some drywall or wood or stainless or tile or ______.

Good luck

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.