Removing Ceiling To Expose The Rafters - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

removing ceiling to expose the rafters

remodeing an old efficiency apartment in an old house! I would like to remove the ceiling any where I can and give it an open look. I am not sure if I can do this and how I should insulate it. It is in southwest Iowa so need insulation. Have a contractor,but woud do much of grunge work myself.

Advertisement

Last edited by nina moore; 03-22-2012 at 05:52 PM.
nina moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 252

I doubt the rafters will look very nice, unless it is a very very old building and you are into that kind of thing.

Advertisement

shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

We took down the plaster ceiling in our kitchen (because we had to) and, upon seeing the result, decided to leave it open. It is a well-built higher-end 1921 American Foursquare, and the beams are 2x10 hardwood. It looks nice. HOWEVER: Be aware that we have a 2nd floor, so insulation wasn't an issue (for temperature), and the sound transmission between the kitchen and the bedroom above it is very, very clear. We elected to take the trade-off, but not everyone would.
Minich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 632

Cost more to heat.
Far harder and a lot more money to insulate and still have air flow to protect the shingles.
Not a geat look.
Still going to have to leave the rafters in place to keep the roof from spreading and or sagging.
What's wrong with the ceiling that's there now?
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,032

Welcome to the forums!

Keep in mind your local building fire codes:
R302.11 Fireblocking. In combustible construction, fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof space.

Fireblocking shall be provided in wood-frame construction in the following locations:
1. In concealed spaces of stud walls and partitions, including furred spaces and parallel rows of studs or staggered studs, as follows:
1.1. Vertically at the ceiling and floor levels.
1.2. Horizontally at intervals not exceeding 10 feet (3048 mm).
2. At all interconnections between concealed vertical and horizontal spaces such as occur at soffits, drop ceilings and cove ceilings.
3. In concealed spaces between stair stringers at the top and bottom of the run. Enclosed spaces under stairs shall comply with Section R302.7. From: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par031.htm

Log homes do not have the same requirements as light frame construction on fire-codes. It takes much longer to burn through a log than a milled (dressed) joist.

You need to cover all framing, other than beams below the floor joists, with drywall for minimum fire safety. “At ceiling and floor levels” --- not ceiling OR floor…. Be sure to get a permit for safety and the “paper trail” your H.O. Insurance carrier may need in case of a claim. Real bummer, if the house burnt down and you “thought” you were full coverage.
You would need to leave the rafter ties, as per code, and protect them with drywall- unless beams.

Minich, I’d check with your local AHJ to be safe

Gary
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Gary, I've spent several hours researching what you said. It seems to me that lumber qualifies as a fireblock, under the definitions set out in the code. It says a fireblock, not a "non combustible" material for fireblock (language which is used elsewhere in the same section). I ran into several discussions that seem to back this up. I'm willing to say I could be wrong, but at the moment I'm convinced otherwise. Fireblock seems to be defined as something that prevents the free passage of flame.
Minich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,032

Sorry, I mixed answers. (old age) You are correct, see Post #11, here: Basement Finishing: You're thoughts on this repeat topic...

Gary

Advertisement