Removing Blown Insulation - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2006, 04:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

removing blown insulation

Hi everyone! My husband and I are in the process of remodeling our bedroom. We are removing our closet and building a cantilevered one on the opposite wall. My question is- what is the easiest way to remove the blown insulation? I remember seeing an episode on t.v. where a guy used a big garbage can and rigged up a vacuum to it. But can't remember how he did it. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Advertisement

jestersma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

You should be able to remove the top part of a shop vac and put it right over a garbage can, assuming you have a big enough shop vac.

Advertisement

billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
MLO

Rewards Points: 75

I have used several way's preparing for a total roof removal. The majority was handled by a small insulating company that advertised "insulation removal". They used dust pans and garbage bags and then vacuumed. They removed over 1000 sq.ft. of "rock wool" in the heat of summer for near $500.

I completed the job by using a large craftsman vaccuum and near 30' of 2 1/2" hose. It will plug up paper pleated filters rather quickly so I purchased several and kept rotating them. This was a wire wound hose that does not recoil under suction like you would find at a car wash vaccuum center. It was actually given to me bye an outfit replacing thier hoses.

It can be very dusty...I have heard of using a light water spray previous to scooping as well.
MLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 04:21 PM   #4

Thanks all, I'll see what I can rig up...It's insulation between the studs of the exterior wall not the floor of an attic so hopefully I can rig up the vacuum or just scoop it by hand again...
Old 05-25-2006, 07:40 PM   #5
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Thats a nasty job anyway you look at it. Just get some garbage cans get a big shovel and have at it. Definately put on a mask and gloves and wear old clothing. That type of insulation is a remodeling contractors worst nightmare. For new insulation i would just recomend (regular fiberglass for 2x4 or 2x6 depending how you house was built. with a vapor barrier over it. That is definately Diy friendly.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestersma
My question is- what is the easiest way to remove the blown insulation? I remember seeing an episode on t.v. where a guy used a big garbage can and rigged up a vacuum to it. But can't remember how he did it. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Will you be removing drywall or plaster and lathe?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #7

good ol' 2 layers of drywall.....ugh
Old 05-28-2006, 08:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000

Drywall is not as messy as plaster and lath.
If you wanted to you could put plastic sheeting on the floor and then cut the drywall out. The blown insulation will fall on the plastic sheeting (on the floor) and then just transfer that to a large box, container or bags.
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 03:47 PM   #9

I wish i would have thought of the plastic idea! Oh well the closet came out pretty good. I'll include a pic
Attached Thumbnails
removing blown insulation-100_0015-small-.jpg  

Advertisement