Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,010

Removing bath mirror

Here's the problem: A 48" tall x 72" wide mirror mounted onto a bath wall over the vanity back splash. There are NO visible clips or anything which hold the mirror to the wall. Access to the bottom, and two sides is not there. Access to the top is about 14" between mirror top and ceiling. I can get the blade of a putty knife, not scraper, into the space between the mirror and back wall. No doubt this mirror will be heavy if/when removed. I'm thinking this mirror is glued to the wall. If so, how do you go about cutting, removing, dissolving, the glue to remove the mirror to save it? It's not going back in, but the homeowner does not want it broken. Thanks, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Removing bath mirror

Good luck Thurman,
Sometimes you can steadily pull on the top and try and get the mastic to pull away from the drywall, taking some of the paper with it. But if there is an outlet cutout in it, I can just about guarantee it will crack there. I wouldn't guarantee to a customer that I could get it off in one piece. Even the glass company I deal with won't do that.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote