Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Removed some plaster, what am I looking at?

OK, misleading title.....I'm looking at pieces of wood behind the plaster.

But some the horizontal boards pictured below are loose and can be wiggled a bit. Behind them, there is about 6" of gap before you reach the sheathing. Is there is a reason or a purpose to this?

Reason I ask it I would like to put in insulation in there, but unless I remove these boards I can only get 1/2" foam board in there.

Thanks.

Last edited by HautingLu; 04-13-2010 at 07:20 PM.
HautingLu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
Mod

If you have studs and exterior sheathing behind that then get rid of it and insulate.

I gave up a long time ago trying to figure out why they did what they did.

I’m sure it was a great idea at the time.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

By bet is that it was used as make-shift insulation.
Wood is an excellent insulator, mention that to some people and they'll fill their walls with it - or sand *shrug*
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 PM   #4

How big is this room? what is it used for? are you planning on living in it for awhile? what kind of heat do you have?
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:48 PM   #5

I have seen this type of construction before! The house that I seen was a brick veneer on the outside!
Rather than sheath it on the outside, in the usual manner, it was sheathed on the inside instead.
It wasn't box framed, as we do today, but balloon framed.

One other method was to sheet both the inside and the outside to form a crib that was filled with saw-dust as an insulator!

Rather than rip the inside sheeting off, I would consider blowing cellulose into the cavity!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 PM   #6

Before insulation was available, fillers included boards (R-1.25 per inch), newspaper, sand, sawdust, shavings, plaster, etc. http://www.coloradoenergy.org/procor...f/r-values.htm http://www.nps.gov/history/hps/tps/briefs/brief21.htm

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-13-2010, 09:54 PM   #7

Sand is lousy as an insulator
http://www.sizes.com/units/rvalue.htm
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 02:39 AM   #8
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyizit View Post
Sand is lousy as an insulator
http://www.sizes.com/units/rvalue.htm

So is most everything they used back in the day
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 03:47 AM   #9
Military Mom of 4

LOL

I heard of someone finding hay in the walls *shrug* :D
Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
Household Handyman

I love working on these older homes, they do tell stories as to their methods of construction back then. The wall on the right almost looks like drywall with the horizontal seam, but I see the wooden "lath" strips at the bottom. The wall to the right of the door definitely shows the horizontal lath strips, and the true 2x4's used back then. I've seen "true cut" 1x4's and 1x6's nailed to the exterior side of the wall studs, either horizontally or placed on a bias (45). I've been told these were for both insulation and for strengthening the walls. I've seen paper between the studs and boards and on the outside of these boards. All of this is before the exterior of the home was placed, usually wood lap siding, asbestos siding, or both, around here. What's interesting is that your random width boards appear to be between the wall studs to me, or are those not true 2x4's? Interesting. The paper also appears to be between the studs and random cut boards. What is your location please, maybe a pic of the outside of the home, and how are those random cut boards held in? Thanks, David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
I love working on these older homes, they do tell stories as to their methods of construction back then. The wall on the right almost looks like drywall with the horizontal seam, but I see the wooden "lath" strips at the bottom. The wall to the right of the door definitely shows the horizontal lath strips, and the true 2x4's used back then. I've seen "true cut" 1x4's and 1x6's nailed to the exterior side of the wall studs, either horizontally or placed on a bias (45). I've been told these were for both insulation and for strengthening the walls. I've seen paper between the studs and boards and on the outside of these boards. All of this is before the exterior of the home was placed, usually wood lap siding, asbestos siding, or both, around here. What's interesting is that your random width boards appear to be between the wall studs to me, or are those not true 2x4's? Interesting. The paper also appears to be between the studs and random cut boards. What is your location please, maybe a pic of the outside of the home, and how are those random cut boards held in? Thanks, David
What you see on the surface is 1X2 (or 3) strapping to support the horizontal lath. The space allow the plaster to squeeze through and form a toe-hold in the cavity!
The studs will be hidden by the sheath!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
How big is this room? what is it used for? are you planning on living in it for awhile? what kind of heat do you have?
This particular room is small. It's just the entrance to the house...more of a mud room to leave shoes/coats/etc. ...maybe like 6'x6'? The plaster was in bad shape, paint was horrible. I decided to gut it to insulate, rewire, and refinish the hardwood floor. I may consider just blowing something in there to avoid removing the planks.

Heat will be gas this summer. It doesn't have any vents, but does have one return.

Thanks guys. I'll have some more pics later.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurman View Post
Location is western PA. It's an old farmhouse from the 50's, though I think it might be a bit earlier.

I'll have pics soon

p.s. The next issue is whether to keep the original door or upgrade. I'm leaning towards leaving it because I have a feeling that it's a custom size.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #14

Okay ,I'll stick my neck out and say this........assuming this room will be used for living in that is. Strip the walls and ceiling down to the 2x4's and whatever the rough supporting lumber is in the ceiling. Next comes the checking how straight the framing lumber is, so run a string on a 2x4 small block of wood at each end, your sure to do a lot of shimming to have straight walls. Now is the time to add electrical outlets if you need them, maybe a light in the ceiling. If your in a cold,cold climate, pack as much insulation that you can in the walls. This next suggestion will cause the best of remodelers to run for the case of beer......nail 1/2 x4x8 sheets of osb board on your new straight walls and ceiling. Then you can put your 1/2 inch drywall on, and you can use your drywall mud to glue it to the osb board ,and of course use drywall screws. When you get done painting ,you can hang your Mother-in-law's picture anywhere without looking for studs .
bernieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernieb View Post
Okay ,I'll stick my neck out and say this........assuming this room will be used for living in that is. Strip the walls and ceiling down to the 2x4's and whatever the rough supporting lumber is in the ceiling. Next comes the checking how straight the framing lumber is, so run a string on a 2x4 small block of wood at each end, your sure to do a lot of shimming to have straight walls. Now is the time to add electrical outlets if you need them, maybe a light in the ceiling. If your in a cold,cold climate, pack as much insulation that you can in the walls. This next suggestion will cause the best of remodelers to run for the case of beer......nail 1/2 x4x8 sheets of osb board on your new straight walls and ceiling. Then you can put your 1/2 inch drywall on, and you can use your drywall mud to glue it to the osb board ,and of course use drywall screws. When you get done painting ,you can hang your Mother-in-law's picture anywhere without looking for studs .

I have an Excel spreadsheet of exactly what I'll done (very similar to your suggestions), except I want to add outlets inside and out, and possible a water line for an out spigot. Concerning insulation, I'm looking to get some Roxul which seems like a good alternative to fiberglass.

Can you explain the osb board part though? Is this basically just for convince in the future? Any pro's/con's? I'm guessing the moisture membrane still goes above the insulation, but behind the osb? On the plus side, there is no mother-in-law to worry about. Heck, there isn't even a gf to complain about the plaster and dust mess.

Thanks.

p.s. I just updated my to-do list for that room

Last edited by HautingLu; 04-14-2010 at 11:22 AM.