Removed Old Tile On Walls..NOW WHAT, HELP - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

removed old tile on walls..NOW WHAT, HELP

hello all,
I have removed an old 1955 bathroom wall tile from the bathroom. It came off but now i'm left with the remaining chipped off tile. I would like to put wainscotting up in place of the tile.

Should I skim coat the mortor, then using faring strips.

just use farning strips to the unsmooth mortor

Glue greenboard(drywall) up and then tack the wainscotting

Thanks,
Chip
Baltimore

I tried to add pics but it didn't work, we all have seen cement/mud board with chipped tiles and glue still left on it.

Advertisement

chipraynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
I tried to add pics but it didn't work, we all have seen cement/mud board with chipped tiles and glue still left on it.
No we haven't !!!

That is kind of a dismissive approach to things. How can anyone help you like that?

Quote:
Should I skim coat the mortor, then using faring strips.
just use farning strips to the unsmooth mortor
Glue greenboard(drywall) up and then tack the wainscotting
For being prone to short cuts you sure are trying to complicate things I think.

It would be easier to remove the drywall (mess and all) back to the studs and start over from there.

Advertisement

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,230

What Bud says. And don't use greenboard. I don't think it's approved anymore.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:51 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I can't really imagine you'd save much time to make it worthwhile unless this is some kind of temporary fix, might as well lay a proper backing and do it right. If I'm properly picturing what you were suggesting, doing it right won't really cost any extra either, it would just mean a little more time in demo first.
mnliberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM   #5

Smile

Thanks to the people who responded.

To be honest, not doing it right isn't an option. I used a tile cutting saw and removed the old tile. Then used a grinder and removed all the old mortor from the walls, to an almost smooth surface. Mixed some mud and applied the 1/4 hardibacker. This now gives me the option to tile, wainscote, or even 1/4 inch greenboard if I want. With no less then an 1/8 bump( which I can skim coat) at the transition.

Yes it took almost a week, to grind, remove, prep.
Yes this is the correct way to do it.
Going over the old tile, never a good idea if this is your (forever) house.

The marble floor is down and wainscoting is going up now.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #6
Exterior Window Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
It would be easier to remove the drywall (mess and all) back to the studs and start over from there.
Agreed with this. Removing the old drywall/mortar and starting from the studs would have been the best option.
Decoramould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 09:57 AM   #7

This post is for the future people who may read this...

I had the old standard black and white 4" tiles and the black and white small floor tiles. I grinded the grout lines and used a small chisel and they piped up. Under the tile is at least a 2 to 3" mud/mortor bed that I don't suggest removing. If you are going to tile you can simply backbutter your tile and your set.
Moving to the wall.. This was a *****.. Again, cut grout lines and removed tile. Not every tile is going to pop right off. Once all tiles are removed. I the. Grinded the mortor/mud to a fairly smooth surface. Once you are here you can either lay new tile on the old mortor wall. Or use a little mortor as the instruction say to do using hardibacker to give you a very smooth new work area. If the 1/4 inch isn't a big deal. But remember. Old tile was at least 1/4 inch out from plaster wall. W/o remov
Old 09-26-2011, 10:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,230

Future people may read it, but no smart ones would ever do it your way.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #9

I'm certainly note going to go back and forth. But if you would remove all that mortor, plaster and mesh. Your crazy.

1st greenboard is still used and approved. Plaster beats any drywall or whatever you or I would put in. I can't imagine pulling out an already well waterproof area as you say just to start from studs.

?? Just not my... Right way!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
This post is for the future people who may read this...

I had the old standard black and white 4" tiles and the black and white small floor tiles. I grinded the grout lines and used a small chisel and they piped up. Under the tile is at least a 2 to 3" mud/mortor bed that I don't suggest removing. If you are going to tile you can simply backbutter your tile and your set.
Moving to the wall.. This was a *****.. Again, cut grout lines and removed tile. Not every tile is going to pop right off. Once all tiles are removed. I the. Grinded the mortor/mud to a fairly smooth surface. Once you are here you can either lay new tile on the old mortor wall. Or use a little mortor as the instruction say to do using hardibacker to give you a very smooth new work area. If the 1/4 inch isn't a big deal. But remember. Old tile was at least 1/4 inch out from plaster wall. W/o remov
Proof reading posts is to everyone's advantage.

A Rube Goldberg approach for sure and not a technique that would be condoned by anyone in the trades. But hey...if it works for someone so be it. A typical DIY installation by someone taking the path of least resistance.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
MsFinnegan (10-07-2011)
Old 09-30-2011, 02:30 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipraynor View Post

To be honest, not doing it right isn't an option.

then don't do it...

after saying this you go on to state how your way is the right way to do it. You come on here for advice, get good advice, however state that your way is the right way, even after being told otherwise.

Green board is not a great product to use, it is not meant for a wet application, which is what a tiled shower surface is.

don't ask questions if you are just going to tell everyone how you know better.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisBC For This Useful Post:
MsFinnegan (10-07-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
Future people may read it, but no smart ones would ever do it your way.
He's right!
Restarting back from the stud would have saved time & money. Sometimes a "plan" in ADVANCE helps...
I did the same thing as you in the FIRST of my 3 remodeled baths... I took the time and hard labor to chisel off each tile only to find out it wasn't even worth the time! Its far less expensive and actually better to start from a clean new smooth surface. Def taught me a lesson for the remaining 2 baths!
YOUR the one asking for HELP...
Just sayin'

Last edited by MsFinnegan; 10-07-2011 at 11:35 AM.
MsFinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:51 AM   #13
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

Chip, before you go any further maybe you could clarify something. Are we talking about bathroom walls or shower walls? Green board is great for bathroom walls, but shouldn't be used in a shower or any wet area.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:56 PM   #14
(Q)
Do-It-Yourselfer

Please let us know if these are shower walls or bathroom walls. I just put up wainscoting right over my BATHROOM walls. They were tiled but only left a small amount of mastic behind. I scraped and sanded the mastic down then I used liquid nails (for paneling) and a finishing nail gun to put up the wainscoting- looks amazing! I got the gun on craigslist for cheap and it was soooooo worth it.

Advertisement

(Q) is offline   Reply With Quote