Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2010, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters

Hi - I'm debating whether to do this myself depending the cost estimates.

Here's my situation:

1) I am handy but have never knocked down walls and put up railings
2) I have attached pictures of the walls that I want replaced with iron balusters, wood hand rail (on top of balusters) and wood bottom frame (on bottom of balusters)
3) There are four separate areas that I hope to replace with the balusters and wood railings:

I have attached the pics with the proper names of where I would like the railings to go in this 3 story townhome:

- First floor 70 inch wall section. The whole wall is 191 inches but the railing cannot go across because of the stairs going to the second floor

- First floor 48 inch wall section. This section of the wall is by the stairs going up to the second floor.

- Second Floor 120 inch wall that is the wall at the top of the staircase

- Entrance Floor (the bottom floor is the garage) 27.5 inch wall this is right at the entrance of the front door. This staircase leads up to the First floor.

I am interested in using selected the iron balusters. What do you all think about repeating 3 styles: PC 8/1 (single 24"), PC 6/1 (single basket), PC 6/4 (double basket)??

If that's too much in a short area then how about repeating PC 8/1 (single 24") and PC 6/4 (double basket)??

Also, I am planning on replacing the carpeted floors with wood laminate and replacement carpet for the stairs. I need to get the stair railings completed first before I do all that correct?

Also, if possible, I need a referral for a local Tampa, FL person that can handle the removal of the walls as well as installation of the railings.

Thanks all in advance for your help and suggestions! JJ
Attached Thumbnails
Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-entry-way_28-wall.jpg   Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-first-floor_48-wall.jpg   Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-first-floor_48-wall2.jpg   Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-first-floor_70in-wall.jpg   Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-second-floor_120-wall.jpg  

Remove half walls & replace with wood railing/balusters-stairway-down-entrance.jpg  

jjgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

First, have you determined if any part of that wall is a bearing wall supporting any portion of your second or third floors?

And yes, I can recommend a good contractor in Plant City. He works a lot of commercial jobs in Tampa.

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #3

Thanks, Willie for your thoughts.

My intent is to remove sections of the walls that are not load-bearing on the first floor and replace with railings.

Would your friend by interested in looking at the pics in my thread and emailing me at least guidelines on what a reasonable cost to remove the walls and replace with balusters and railings. I already have an idea of the the approximate cost of materials, but would be interested in any thoughts on labor costs. jjgoss@yahoo.com
jjgoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #4

Job looks pretty simple, except for light switches in the upper half wall. The job would however be VERY involved, if I were to do this bid this job it would be pricey. By the way for metal balusters in wood rake rail I figure wood job rate x3, level rail x2.
railman is offline   Reply With Quote