Removal Of Residue After Scraping Popcorn Ceilings? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2008, 01:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removal of residue after scraping popcorn ceilings?

I scraped the popcorn from the ceiling, a few days later went over it again to remove the remaining texture and wiped down with water and a rag two times. I thought this would be sufficient but I was wrong. The popcorn was applied over a latex paint or primer and not directly on to the drywall, this made it very dificult to remove 100% of the texture residue because of the recessed spaces caused by the rolled application of the primer/paint.

We proceeded to prime (Zinsser 1-2-3) one room lastnight and after a few hours I tested for adhesion by scraping an area with my fingernail. I was able to peel the primer off of the ceiling very easily and on the under side of the peel was a small layer of texture/dust. It seems that even if I wiped down the surface 100 more times there would still be residue on the ceiling. I did test an area in another room with acetone and I was able to remove the remaining texture along with some of th underlying paint.

My questions are:

1. How do I remove the new coat of primer in room #1?

2. How do I remove all of the old texture residue throuh out the entire house? Should I do it chemically (acetone, TSP), or manually (wire brush, sanding)? This is a large area and we are on a very tight time line.

Thanks for you input.

Advertisement

jdwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

Oh no! How frustrating. I don't have a lot of experience in this, but we removed our popcorn ceiling last spring by scraping with a putty knife and then wiping it down. We did not prime the ceiling, just sprayed the popcorn right back up again and haven't had a bit of problem in three months.

Advertisement

ChrisT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

testing for good adhesion after allowing a couple hours to dry...was not really allowing enough cure time and giving your primer a chance.

prime or paint before applying acoustical texture to ceiling is best practice.

Very surprised you had a residue problem...clean rags and lots of clean water?
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote