Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:47 PM   #1

Share |

Remodeling a small bathroom

We have a bathroom 56 inches by 45 inches. The 45 inch wall has room for the door and the sink. The 56 in wall has room for the sink and the toilet. You open the door and sink is directly to your right. You have to step in front of the toilet to close the door to use the sink. We could extend the 56 inch wall another 46 inches but would only do so to add a shower. I'm interested in making the room inviting with a little elbow space around the sink with some counter space (there is no counter space, the sink is solely attached to the wall) and not having to step around the door. Will a door that slide into the wall make it all look too cheap? Is there hope for a remodel of it, or is it just too small to do anything with?

Last edited by debd; 06-04-2009 at 11:50 PM.
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Expert (on my house)

Quote:
Will a door that slide into the wall make it all look too cheap?
If you are referring to a pocket door, no it will not look cheap depending on the type of door you purchase. A french style door with glass lites, then frosted over looks beautiful. I did the same to my closet. It is a little heavy though and the framing for the door will have to be installed.
If you are referring to bi-folds, accordians, etc it will more than likely look cheap. If you have the room to slide the door into the wall, and nothing else will obstruct the movement-pocket doors are your answer. They come in various sizes and if you buy it in a kit, they have pretty good instructions.
Good luck
cjanlui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:45 AM   #3

The vision of a muted figure on the john does evoke a style of sorts. Hope there's a ,"Plan B".
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjanlui View Post
If you have the room to slide the door into the wall, and nothing else will obstruct the movement-pocket doors are your answer.
Good luck
Do I need twice the width of the door or more than that? Will they become damaged with people constantly pushing into them thinking they were a regular door or would they hold up?
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #5

I never use a pocket door on a bathroom or laundry room, they do not stop any noise. The new ones don't jump track like the old ones. Depends on where you buy it: http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...412&lpage=none

Others are 2x the door width + 2-1/2". And 84-1/2" high. Hopefully they will look for a knob (lockset) before they push. They do have a funky handle, and mickey mouse lock. Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote