Remodeling RV, Need Help Finish Cabinets - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2008, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling RV, Need help Finish cabinets

Hi, i am starting to remodel a pop up trailer i recently bought. I have some cabinets that are made out of composite wood with a top finish. I was wondering what that thin top finish is called? I know they make it to look like real wood, sometimes even as far as marble.

A place where to buy it would also be very helpful

Thank you

Advertisement

rawimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:33 PM   #2
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Laminate or veneer?

Advertisement

Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:53 PM   #3

It may be laminate, any idea on how to apply it onto a cabinet with laminate already applied? I'm thinking of peeling it, but it may be too old and take off chunks of the composite wood. The trailer is a 1980 just to give you guys an idea on what i'm dealing with.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:12 AM   #4
What can I find here?

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawimpact View Post
It may be laminate, any idea on how to apply it onto a cabinet with laminate already applied? I'm thinking of peeling it, but it may be too old and take off chunks of the composite wood. The trailer is a 1980 just to give you guys an idea on what i'm dealing with.
I think I'd leave it on. You probably should remove any glossiness with some fine sandpaper and use the appropriate adhesive for laminates. They make rollers to smooth out the air pockets but if you're careful you can use your hands. I believe the edges are gone over with a router to give them a finished edge.

Hopefully the professionals here will speak up.
Best of luck.
Winchester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

The stuff is called laminate. Formica is a brand name that is commonly used to describe it.

You can usually install it over existing laminate, provided you clean the surface and scuff it up with some fine sandpaper.

You have to have a router and a flush-trim bearing bit to trim the overhang at the edges once you've installed it. It is also easiest to cut with a router.

Formica is installed with contact cement. It is applied with a roller or brush to the substrate as well as the Formica. You let the cement dry until it is barely tacky (20-40 minutes), then slap the new piece over the old. I suggest using wood dowel rods laid flat on the old counter to allow you to position the laminate, because once it touches, you'll never move it again. Starting at one edge or in the middle (working out to avoid high spots), remove the dowels one at a time and press the laminate down. A cheap j-roller or a rolling pin from the wife's kitchen is a must.

Once it is glued down, use the router to trim it. Where the router can't go you'll have to use a utility knife and a file very carefully.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:45 AM   #6

Thank you for your information, i appreciate your time.

-Raw

Advertisement