Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2014, 12:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Remodeling our bathroom

So we're ripping up our bathroom ... we're down to the studs on the walls so far.

OUr plan is to get a Jacuzzi style tub, or just a soaker tub, tile around the tub, new toilet, fixtures, everything.

We're also pulling the floor up down to the baseboard so we can install new tile and a heated floor.

My question is, how hard is tiling? I think that'll be our only contracted labor, but maybe its something we could try ourselves?

It's a pretty small bathroom, 10 feet length, 5 feet wide...so just enough for a tub to fit at the end.

vivithemage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 03:41 PM   #2
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250
Smile

Remodeling our bathroom

How flat is the floor. Use a 10' straight edge to find out. How much deflection does the floor have? You will need to know joist size, depth, span, and your subfloor thickness to calculate that. Once you know the answers to those questions, then you can see if tile is a suitable choice for the floor, as well as what size tile. Smaller tile is more DIY friendly for a novice.

Most of the work in tiling is in the prep for it, just like with painting. The lion's share after the prep is the math to make the job line up correctly and look good. The actual laying of the tile does take a bit of practice for technique, so you might want to start with a thrift store find to create an outdoor tile topped table. If you can spread peanut butter on toast though, you are more than halfway there.

And, after you invest in the tools it takes, you may find that you enjoy it and want to move on to other projects as well.

Last edited by Live_Oak; 02-02-2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: joe caught the error, thanks, :-)
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 05:06 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,466

Remodeling our bathroom

Prep and the right tools are paramount.

Be sure to make sure the sub-floor thickness is adequate as well as look into uncoupling agents.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Remodeling our bathroom

If you can do all of that other stuff, you should be able to install the tile. The sub-floor prep is the most important task because it must be solid to ensure no movement of the tile (and subsequent cracking). The local home improvement stores will often offer a class in tiling so ask around.

As for the heating, if you own a house with a basement, I would recommend electric heating that goes in between the floor joists underneath the subfloor of the bath (in the basement ceiling). Otherwise, if you put the heating element in the thinset under the tile, how do you repair it if something should fail? Yeah, rip the tile back up. Not a pleasant thought.

Last edited by landar; 02-02-2014 at 08:17 PM.
landar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:09 PM   #5
K&B Designer

Remodeling our bathroom

I've got under floor electric heating cables in my baths. 40 years old, and zero issues. Like anything else, correct installation is the key.
oh'mike (02-03-2014), Windows on Wash (02-03-2014)
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24 AM   #6

Remodeling our bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by landar View Post
If you can do all of that other stuff, you should be able to install the tile. The sub-floor prep is the most important task because it must be solid to ensure no movement of the tile (and subsequent cracking). The local home improvement stores will often offer a class in tiling so ask around.

As for the heating, if you own a house with a basement, I would recommend electric heating that goes in between the floor joists underneath the subfloor of the bath (in the basement ceiling). Otherwise, if you put the heating element in the thinset under the tile, how do you repair it if something should fail? Yeah, rip the tile back up. Not a pleasant thought.
Good info, thanks ... i'll try some of this out and see how comfortable I feel.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:03 AM   #7

Remodeling our bathroom

How do yo cut for edges though? That's the part that worries me a bit.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
Exterior Construction

Remodeling our bathroom

Buy a wet saw or get and angle grinder with diamond blade.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:50 PM   #9

Remodeling our bathroom

I got a quote for labor on doing our floor, and building a walk in shower, $1000...tiling about 200 square feet, 120 square feet of it is the ceiling.

Is it generally OK to ask if they'd do it for less?
Old 02-05-2014, 01:01 PM   #10
Exterior Construction

Remodeling our bathroom

That looks fair to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
Live_Oak (02-05-2014)
Old 02-05-2014, 01:32 PM   #11

Remodeling our bathroom

Yeah, considering he's building the stand up shower out of tile! Is it okay to counter it with something, or is that generally a bad idea?
Old 02-05-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
K&B Designer

Remodeling our bathroom

If you don't like his very good almost too low price, move on to a different professional. Just be sure that you get apples to apples quotes though. And that whomever you do choose is licensed and insured. There's nothing worse than a poorly built leaky shower to show someone that the sweetness of a low price is long gone by the time the stinkiness of the mold becomes apparent.

And yeah, unfortunately, don't assume just because it's a spendy quote that he also actually understands how to properly do it either. You gotta do your research yourself to know if what you're being told is correct. Then pay the going rate, stand back, and let him do his job.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:23 PM   #13

Remodeling our bathroom

He sent me some references/phone numbers, as well as some pictures of work he's done.

I got another quote, and they want more towards 3k for same work in labor.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75

Remodeling our bathroom

Vivithemage, I'm with Live_Oak. Your tile quote seems too good (and maybe too low). I'm in the Northeast and I just completed a bath remodel. As part of the job, we had a 3' x 4' shower stall tiled from the shower pan up to the ceiling--about 7 1/2 feet---with 8"x12" tiles arranged in a subway fashion. Total area was about 77 square feet and the cost was $685. I did all the prep work--repaired some studs, hung the cement board, taped and applied the waterproofing membrane. The $685 was just for hanging the tile. If your contractor's references all check out and he can do the a quality job for that price...you've hit the jackpot! Good Luck.
DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 03:17 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 75
Smile

Remodeling our bathroom

We considered both options--frameless and framed---for our bath remodel but opted out primarily due to cost. A frameless door (including installation) would have cost about $2000 and increased our total remodeling costs by almost 35%. The framed door we looked at was closer to $1000 with installation, but it still would have increased costs significantly. We decided to stick with the shower curtain.

DIYRemodeler is offline   Reply With Quote