Remodeling Kitchen Cabinets - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Jennifer

Rewards Points: 10
Question

remodeling kitchen cabinets

Hello everyone!
While refinishing my kitchen cabinets I seem to have hit a little snag. To avoid having to refinish some intricate details in my kitchens (which are, thankfully, in good condition) I have to find an exact wood stain for the rest of my kitchen to match. So far, I have tried Minwax's Colonial Maple, but found it was a little too much on the orange side.

Here's a picture of some of my cabinets:

What stain do you recomend?

Advertisement

JUNIORcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Neanderthal Woodworker

Rewards Points: 75

Take one of your existing doors, or drawer fronts, to the local paint store, NOT the big blue or orange ones, but a REAL paint store.........Sherwin-Williams, Kelly-Moore, Monarch, if you're fortunate enough to be near a Mohawk or M.L. Campbell...even better, etc.............they are professionals at matching colors.......it will help immensely if you take then some of the actual material you intend to refinish....they can use the inside of a door or drawer front to test for color match. Typically they do not charge for the matching, just the cost of the stain.........as I tell my clients, " it will be as close as possible, but because of aging, smoke, air quality, sun or artificial lighting, airborne grease, etc. it won't be exact".

We have had the best luck with the colorists who go by experiences, not the formulas in the book or computer.
Good Luck, have fun & be safe.

Advertisement

woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 10:47 PM   #3
Jennifer

Rewards Points: 10

thank you so much!
I went down to my local Sherwin-Williams and found a stain that matched extremely well. However, while I was pre-staining the wood I realized that without any stain, it was becoming the right color. Is there such a thing as a stain that doesn't add any color but brings out the wood's natural shade?
JUNIORcakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Neanderthal Woodworker

Rewards Points: 75

That would just be a top coat, of lacquer, polyurethane, shellac, etc. Those allow the true beauty of the wood's natural color to show, and matching simply becomes a matter of a matte, satin, semi-gloss, or high gloss finish.
Y'all Take Care
woodman51jfk is offline   Reply With Quote