Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Share |

remodeling kitchen

Can I lay tile over a Formica counter top or do I need to take it off first?
debd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
old guy contractor

remodeling kitchen

The problem is if the formica ever separates from the substrate, your tile will be compromised.
You could try installing cement board over the formica as a new substrate for the tile.
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:11 PM   #3

remodeling kitchen

Quote:
Originally Posted by debd View Post
Can I lay tile over a Formica counter top or do I need to take it off first?
Laminate is usually applied over flakeboard which is a moisture sensitive substrate. I'd check what you have before you invest any time and money.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Ultimatetouch

remodeling kitchen

Why not just go with granite. Its seemless and very cost effective if you hire the right guy. If you go with the tile becareful of the overhang area on top. Its raised where it goes into the over hang. Im not sure how that would work with the cement board or laying tile.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:53 PM   #5

remodeling kitchen

We're planning on doing the work ourselves. It will be an odd shape with a 2 foot support wall coming through it so I doubt I could get the granite to fit the space (I also used granite for my bathroom, bought it from Home Depot. The claim was that it was sealed but it does get water spots on it that do dry out. Not sure I want that in the kitchen. I do like the way the sink attached to the granite is below countertop level instead of above it though) Haven't looked into it enough to know what you are referring to with the raised area going into the overhang. I do like the seamless idea though. One reason for going with tile is that the current Formica has gotten knife marks in it (even though everyone in the house says that they are using the cutting board). I could like something that will be more durable.

Last edited by debd; 11-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
Ultimatetouch

remodeling kitchen

Quote:
We're planning on doing the work ourselves. It will be an odd shape with a 2 foot support wall coming through it so I doubt I could get the granite to fit the space (I also used granite for my bathroom, bought it from Home Depot. The claim was that it was sealed but it does get water spots on it that do dry out. .
A good granite guy could install granite around anything. The guy will make a template to make the kitchen counter fit like a glove. As far as spotting and water goes, it depends on the type and color of granite used. Dark colors spot a lot. Somthing with colors and a lot of visual interest its usally harder to see any spotting at all. You could usually feel it though. Also years ago I priced granite vs. tile countertops when doing a kitchen remodeling project. They were about the same. Thats if your getting good tile. Also you will never get away from the joints and as you said the overmount sink. The overmount sink is a nasty little area to keep clean. We always seal the countertop after the granite is installed no matter what the case is.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #7

remodeling kitchen

Still not sold on granite. Does anyone have a comment on using Quartz? Recommended? Not recommended?
Old 11-09-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

remodeling kitchen

Quote:
Still not sold on granite. Does anyone have a comment on using Quartz? Recommended? Not recommended?
Quartz, like many granites, require sealing on a regular basis. They are also suseptible to scorching.
Tiling a counter has issues with grout discoloration around the sink and stove.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote