Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #1

Share |

Remodeling fire place mantle (lots of pics)

I bought my house 2 years ago with a built in fireplace. Its still operational and i would like to keep it that way as a future selling feature but the rocks and the mantle belong in a log cabin in the mountains not in a suburb outside of a military town. I want to mount my tv on top of the fireplace to get a little bit more space for furniture in the living room but to do so i need to get a bigger mantle so i have a spot for my dvr box and blu ray player (i'm not a big fan stringing wires all over my living room).

So i need to know what is most likely behind this rock? Did they put the rock and mortar on the drywall directly or should i expect some other type of surface? Where can i find a larger mantle for a more contemporary look? What would be the best look for the rock step in the front? How is the mantle attached to the wall? Im assuming its recessed into the dry wall and screwed into the studs?

What i have:

Where my studs are:

What im looking for:

So ideas?

Last edited by supermech21; 04-01-2012 at 09:55 PM.
supermech21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 PM   #2

What you have looks like a cheap DIY stuck to the drywall surround.
No one here's going to be able to tell exactly what you have without being there.
What your looking to replace it with is a pretty simple to make but really expencive to buy unit. The same thing could be made with stock moldings at any Home Depot of Lowes and some 3/4" cabinet grade plywood.
In order to install the TV it would be best to remove all the sheetrock abover the fireplace. Then you could install all the needed blocking to the TV mount and hide the power and cable wiring behind the wall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 AM   #3
DIY staff

The two designs you show will not work with your current fire place---

The first one the fireplace is actually place out side the wall and then boxed in---flue exits the back of the metal fire box.

Second one is an antique gas heater---

Best bet would be to --remove stone work and drywall---add electric and a run for all the cable T.V. wiring--then build or buy a conventional mantel ---wall mount the T.V.--run the cables and control boxes to a near by cabinet.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the timely replies. I know that the examples i pictured wouldn't work because my unit is built into the wall and not out like the others. That was just an example manly of the mantle piece i wanted.

I dont doubt that it was a cheap diy project as a lot of the things in my house were the "basic" additions. If i wanted to pull it off and remove everything except the fire place insert what would be the best way to go about? Just take a hammer and pry off individual pieces of rock?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #5

Your going to want to protect that flooring with some OSB before trying to bust this up.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
DIY staff

Use a stud finder and locate the nearest stud to the stone work (right or left) then saw the drywall along the stud ---remove the drywall and stone in one piece----faster--no ragged edges --and ready to sister in a nailing strip and replace the drywall.

This will also open up enough wall to allow you to add the cable chase and new 110v line for the T.V.
supermech21 (04-02-2012)
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Use a stud finder and locate the nearest stud to the stone work (right or left) then saw the drywall along the stud ---remove the drywall and stone in one piece----faster--no ragged edges --and ready to sister in a nailing strip and replace the drywall.

This will also open up enough wall to allow you to add the cable chase and new 110v line for the T.V.
Awesome idea, thank you!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
DIY staff

I demo a lot of bathrooms every year----most walls go out with the tile still attached--