Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #1

Share |

Remodeling advice wanted

Hello everyone, I am new to the site but i love what i have seen so far. I have a couple quick questions and hope for a little help and advice.

I just purchased this "fix er upper" and I am planning to remodel my master bedroom. The guy who half assed this place together used OSB when he did the walls in the bedroom. Why? I dont know. He says her removed all the plaster and Lath and just threw up some OSB rather than Dry wall.

My question is what would be the best way to remodel this room. I want to go with dry wall. Should i take off all the OSB and rock it or get 1/4 sheetrock and just go over it? If i do the second option i then run into problems when i get to outlets as thye will not be flush with the new wall.

My last question is on the ceiling. the current ceiling is not in too bad of shape. Its plaster with some kind of popcorn or heavy textured paint. I really dont like the texture so i am wondering what would be the easiest way to fix this. My only thought would be hang some fernon strips and drywall.

Only thing is i dont want to spend a fortune on this room. I am 22 years old and want to get this house in better shape without spending a ton of money. I do plan on all new window and door trim and baseboards. Thanks for reading and all advice and tips is very appreciated. -Conde54

Conde54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 06:46 AM   #2
DIY staff

Remodeling advice wanted

I would pull off the OSB--then you will be able to update any electrical--change the box cover rings to 1/2 inch for the drywall

and insulate.

Any body that hung OSB in a bedroom probably was clueless to common building practices and checking anything he touched would be wise.--Mike--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #3
Residential Renovations

Remodeling advice wanted

Other than what Mike already mentioned you will also run into door jam and windows not being flush with your finished wall if you add drywall over the osb..... You should remove osb and replace it with drywall.....
Tattoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 AM   #4

Remodeling advice wanted

Thanks guys!
Conde54 is offline   Reply With Quote