Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2012, 09:20 AM   #1

Share |

Remodeling a 1920 kitchen

my kitchen is a very small (10x12) still (except for the sink) original from 1920
we don't mind it being small but we just can't prepare anything in this kitchen
the only three upper wall cabinets over the only counter and far right of the sink is so low over the counter we cant use it and goes high to the ceiling
and of coarse it has glass doors that even extents below the the front of the cabinet ,how did people cook back then
then on the other side of the wall theres a door to a spice rack and a door to an ironing board yes i said ironing board
you know, when you open the door the board falls on your head
but anyway time for me to remodel
i have drawn the before and after the remodel using paint in windows
i want your thoughts on the after of what i think will work

i ,m going to enclose the large window for new cabinets
has new smaller window over sink
also i,m going to remove the spice rack and ironing board and drywall over it
the old metal sink and cabinets will go
the fridge will go to where the stove is now next to the chimney and out of the way
the stove will go to where the only counter is now
i was thinking of getting those unfinished oak cabinets that homedepot sells
i think i can do the job except for moving some outlets and moving the gas pipe over to new location
what you thinks guys?
any other better way to do the sad kitchen?
sorry for the bad drawnings but hope you guys can understand it
Attached Images

Last edited by fix what?; 06-20-2012 at 09:51 AM.
fix what? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Posting a to-scale drawing may help.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
Posting a to-scale drawing may help.
got them up, thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #4

I recently redid my kitchen, which was also 10x12. Personally I don't like cabinets everywhere, as it feels too cluttered. Try to think of the layout as having a preparatio area, a cooking area (aka stove area) and a cleaning area (sink, dishwasher...)

I would put the sink where the large window was, and install a shorter window. One small window would make the space awfully dark.
Having space on both sides of the stove is very handy, so maybe you could put the stove where the sink was, as well as a range hood. Or maybe beside the stairs where the fridge used to be?
Could you move the fridge to 'only counter in kitchen' area? then you could either make your dining room doorway bigger, or move the doorway over and expand the pantry. Moving the door also provides a much more 'linear' walking path.
shazapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

I would suggest you sit down and do a detailed to-scale drawing. This will give you a much better idea of how things will actually fit and how much space you will end up with.

Then get quotes on what moving the gas and electric will cost before committing to a plan.

You have two "L's" in your counter top in your plan. Although there are cabinets with lazy susans in them for corners like this, they are still not the best use of space. Keeping the window and losing the "L's" may not cost you that much on functional storage but would give you a much more open look, not to mention more light.

If you are on a strict budget (and who isn't these days) I would consider the option of putting the fridge in the bottom left corner, leaving the big window wall open, and putting base cabinets along the basement stair wall. Not ideal, but better than what you have and more economical.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=10x10+...9,r:0,s:0,i:71

thats what i'd do and put the pantry beside the fridge. this will give you room to put an island to if you'd like or table.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Civil Engineer

We redid our not so much larger kitchen about 8 years ago. Ours is about 160 square feet. We purchased several books specifically addressing kitchen remodeling, unfortunately I am 1000 miles from home right now so I cannot tell you the exact titles, however one was purchased at a big box store, and two came from Barnes and Noble. Now that I think about it, one was by Steve Thomas from the television show This Old House, I believe it was called This Old House Kitchens.

Anyway, point is these books were great in terms of discussing layout, materials, installation, drawing preparation, cost etc. Gave us lots of ideas on how to maximize efficiency in a relatively small space. I suggest you invest in a few books, read them over, then prepare the plan. The books will explain the triangle concept, discuss use of islands, location of the appliances, electrical and plumbing requirements, floor options, how to select cabinets, standard dimensioning, and a lot of other things you might not think about. We were very happy with the results, in the end I built all my own cabinets, we installed radiant floor heating, all new appliances, a fair amount of electrical and plumbing work, and completely reconfigured the geometry of the kitchen. No way could I have figured this out without written guidance.

An internet chat group is good for bouncing ideas off, but I would really start by buying some books, preparing a scaled plan (I did mine in CAD), and spending some serious time moving the pieces around to see what the options really are.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 05:51 PM   #8

Menards or lowes will do a detailed layout for free and a 3 dimensional picture of what it will look like. Just need good measurements of the room. Even if you dont buy from them it will give you some different ideas
cjm94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
http://www.google.ca/imgres?q=10x10+...9,r:0,s:0,i:71

thats what i'd do and put the pantry beside the fridge. this will give you room to put an island to if you'd like or table.
pantry is is like a closet, can't be moved
Old 06-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I would suggest you sit down and do a detailed to-scale drawing. This will give you a much better idea of how things will actually fit and how much space you will end up with.

Then get quotes on what moving the gas and electric will cost before committing to a plan.

You have two "L's" in your counter top in your plan. Although there are cabinets with lazy susans in them for corners like this, they are still not the best use of space. Keeping the window and losing the "L's" may not cost you that much on functional storage but would give you a much more open look, not to mention more light.

If you are on a strict budget (and who isn't these days) I would consider the option of putting the fridge in the bottom left corner, leaving the big window wall open, and putting base cabinets along the basement stair wall. Not ideal, but better than what you have and more economical.
i think i like that plan
i would have to replace the window, it's bad
i think i,m going to go with this plan if my wife agrees
and it will save me money
i still will need to redo the ceiling and floor, add a cabinet and fan over the stove and strip the painted gum wood trim
for the floor ,my wife want ceramic tiles in black and white
Old 06-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

Because our Kitchen is about the same size, we ended up knocking the wall between it and the Dining room. Ended up going with the fridge next to the portable dishwasher, which sits next to the 36" sink base, to the right of that, is two 18" drawers, which will get replaced once we get new cabinets.

On the other side, is the doorway, then a 18" cabinet right now, then a small 10" next to that, then the stove. After all is said and done, we will end up with a 36" on the left & right of the stove. Also ended up with a narrower but a little longer table than what we had.

If you can rob space, or combine with another room, go for it. Can you post a drawing of the floor that the kitchen is in, showing the complete layout.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote