Remodel Tips/Ideas - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Remodel Tips/Ideas

Alright folks. REALLY getting sick of my house feeling dated. Want to start updating the home, starting with my kitchen. I have a couple thoughts here...

1. Paint the cabinets white, change the hardware, light colored wood laminate flooring, leave the countertop (laminate) and maybe swap out for either all white or stainless appliances. (can you do a tile backsplash with laminate counters or will it look tacky?)

2. Take out the wall surrounding the stairs and replace it with a railing/spindle setup to make it look more open. Thinking about doing a light color baseboard and railing top (to match the floor) and white or wrought iron spindles...ideas?

3. Was thinking about moving the sink to under the window, leaving the stove where it is, and just doing all countertop/cabinets where the sink is now, upgrade the 12" cupboards above the sink now to 18" and putting a wine glass holder underneath it with some accent lighting...worth it?

4. Should I take down the drywall above the cupboards and leave it open up top to make it seem more open?

Open to any/all ideas (don't really want to spend TONS of money, such as quartz countertops and such because I will just price myself out of the neighborhood...just want to look updated/clean while keeping it manageable on the $). No plan on selling anytime soon, or ever (depending on rest of house remodel to fit family!)
Attached Images

Advertisement

nvycrmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #2

Remodel Tips/Ideas

sorry for the sideways pic...not sure why it uploaded like that. it's normal on my desktop!

Advertisement

Old 03-23-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Remodel Tips/Ideas

btw, carpeted section is the dining room that will also be replaced with the laminate flooring and will meet up with carpet in living room
Old 03-23-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

Remodel Tips/Ideas

I vote for new doors and drawer fronts. I don't know how good the boxes are but I think painting those white will still look dated.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

Remodel Tips/Ideas

so keep the boxes, paint them white, and just get new doors (shaker style maybe) and ptm?
Old 03-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #6
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Remodel Tips/Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvycrmn View Post
3. Was thinking about moving the sink to under the window, leaving the stove where it is, and just doing all countertop/cabinets where the sink is now, upgrade the 12" cupboards above the sink now to 18" and putting a wine glass holder underneath it with some accent lighting...worth it?
Putting the sink under the window is so traditional, I wonder why it was put where it is. I would do a bit of research and make sure there is not an immovable object of some sort in the way.
And BTW, if you did this, you would also want to move the dishwasher next to the sink. Leaving it on the other side of the room would be awkward.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #7

Remodel Tips/Ideas

@ blonde: I think the reason they did this is there is a bathroom on the other side of that wall, and that is where the sink to the bathroom is as well so they just tied together into the main...nothing immovable (would have to relocate electrical panel to run the drain over). Yes, the dishwasher would be moved to the right of the sink, if the sink were to be moved...
Old 03-26-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Remodel Tips/Ideas

Paint the dishwasher with white appliance paint.
Remove valance above window and upper cabinet to right of window. Add open shelving
Add 2nd row of uppers frosted glass front hinged up.
Add glass to at least one upper
First paint cabinets and doors. If your still not happy replace doors.
Moving the sink is a big project but if you can do the work your self try it but i dont think its worth the effort.

Looks like there is room for a small island.
If no island make a small peninsula.
Take your draw base and turn it 90 degrees. Add a 3 inch filler to corner side of draw base. Cover the side and back with bead board add open shelving from back side in corner. Overhang new counter back and side.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #9

Remodel Tips/Ideas

@JustinK...

1.when you talk about adding 2nd row of uppers, are you talking about above the first row? The ceiling is vaulted so would that look funny?

2. I plan on adding glass to the cabinets above the dishwasher because that is where my dishes are. I was thinking clear...thoughts?

3. Removing upper cabinet to right of window and replacing with open shelving...that is where my Tupperware is so this may not be an option with current layout.

4. I would do pretty much all the work myself for moving sink but thinking it might be more trouble than it is going to be worth.

5. I was thinking of putting a row of cabinets (maybe 2 32" cabinets) along the wall that lines the stairs. The countertop would be flush with the top of the stair railing

6. I thought about cornering off the cabinets at the drawer base but wasn't sure if that would make the kitchen feel too small. Plus my dining room table is right there so it might be a little tight sitting in the kitchen.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:30 PM   #10
Dark Knight

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via AIM to Streeter1981

Remodel Tips/Ideas

I thnk all of your ideas sound like good ideas here. One thing to consider is that you can say something will be a quick job, but it usually turns out to be a lot harder than you think as you run into new issues. I would just keep that in mind before removing drywall etc.!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Streeter1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:43 PM   #11

Remodel Tips/Ideas

@streeter,

Yeah, I definitely learned the hard way to always add at least 2 days to a planned project! haha
Old 04-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #12

Remodel Tips/Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvycrmn View Post
Moving your sink would be a pretty expensive project.. Plus, as was already said, sink under window is really common nowadays so i think it's be more original of you to avoid that placement. I'd keep it where it is and focus more on some of your other points, particularly the new flooring and cabinet work.
fixrupr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:40 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 280

Remodel Tips/Ideas

Quote:
upgrade the 12" cupboards above the sink now to 18" and putting a wine glass holder underneath it with some accent lighting...
Just curious. Are you going to build them? If so, 15 1/2 inch wide panels cut from plywood would use the material pretty effectively. You would get three across the sheet. Add the face frame and you have 16 1/4".

Just thinking out loud. :-)
MT Stringer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 01:38 AM   #14

Remodel Tips/Ideas

That is a gorgeous wooden kitchen cabinet.
jasper121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 AM   #15
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

Remodel Tips/Ideas

#1 thing that I see......that 'thing' above your cabinets....paint it, remove it....do something.

#2....move the fridge.

#3....if you have a raised foundation...moving the sink would be pretty easy...if it's slab....leave it where it is and we will just chalk that one up to "What were they thinking".

#4....it looks like you have enough room for an island......

Where do the stairs go? If it's not a busy stair case....I'm thinking that maybe a full wall....maybe even a door there....then you have a big wall you could hang cabinets on.

Advertisement

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote