Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #1
Home Slave

Share |

Reglazing fiberglass tubs

Hey all.

I did a little searching about re-glazing tubs and read some of the pros and cons about having a tub reglazed. Well, I have a one piece fiberglass shower / tub stall that needs refinishing (teal...ugh!). Given the the geometry of my house, it will be impossible to replace or install a cover, so re-glazing is my only option, if it is even an option for what I have.... so here's my questions.

1) I'm sure it is fine, but I haven't found any definite answers... is it possible to re-glaze fiberglass tubs?

2) Before having a pro come in to do the job, I was wondering if that in order to reduce the likelihood of the re-glaze failing, should I load the tub with water and inject a heavy duty adhesive foam under the tub to limit the amount of flex that the tub structure will have with use?

3) I'm having trouble finding companies that re-glaze in the state of Maine. Closest I have found was New Hampshire. Anyone here know of any reputable companies that offer this service?

Thanks.

Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

you can refinish a fiberglass tub/shower. If no one in the area specializing in it you can try to find a painter with a lot of spraying experience using HVLP sprayers. Then get the materials needed online. The most critical things is proper prep (cleaning) and applying the correct mil thickness of the materials. No other prep is needed on your end.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

You can replace the whole unit by getting a new tub and three piece surround as opposed to a new one piece. Take a sawzall to the old unit to remove......
Old 10-31-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Home Slave

Thought about the 3 peice, but really couldn't find a kit that looked nice. Still looking, but re-glazing may be our only option.

Why did they have to put a f-ing Teal tub in anyway?
Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:27 PM   #5
Home Remodeler

Had a couple done in an apartment I was remodeling. It took two days which was nice. The pro that did it used heat lamps and ventillation in the process. They look great and cost $750 a piece.
mikey48 is offline   Reply With Quote