Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2007, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Refinishing Wood Floors

I had a compnay come out and give me an estimate for refinishing wood floors. They are planning to use an oil based finish. Is the oil based finish as good as water? I was told there is no difference except for the strong oder with the oil product. I am not sure what to believe...

Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:03 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing Wood Floors

I recently refinished my floors and I do not know why you would use an oil based finish today.
The water base poly will dry faster, not smell, and will not yellow over time.

simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 03:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Refinishing Wood Floors

You would use an oil based product because it will hold up longer and give better protection. I don't think this will be the case for too long. Water based poly's are getting better all the time. But for today, I would pick oil.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:54 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Refinishing Wood Floors

Thanks for the replies. I previously had some of my floors refinished with another company and was advised the commercial water based sealant wwas better than the oil, and therefore cost more. I was charged $2.75/sq foot.

Recently, I had different company quote me $1.50/sq foot for an oil based sealant. He said that he only applies oil based sealant, but could go with water if that is preferred for .50/sq foot additional.

I did some quick internet reasearch that indicates the water is better quality in that it won't get discolored, and that it has less odor. But after the past post, it appears that oil is still popular. I guess there is no real hard and fast answer here.

How can I determine the quality of sealant used? I asked him, and was told that the sealant he uses can not be bought at Home Depot, but only purchased at wood stores. Is there any way to tell was is good and what is crap?

I sincerely appreciate both responses and any that may follow. Also, is ther any additiional informatiion that i should be concerned with before work is started?
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote