Refinishing Bath Tub - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2009, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing bath tub

About 3 years ago, I redid a bathroom and opted to refinish the old bathtub instead of replacing it. It is a smaller...not standard 60 inch tub...and those aren't readily available. Anyway, I had it refinished/repainted by a vendor. Well, needless to say it wasn't a good job cause the finish is now deteriorating and looks terrible.

What are your thoughts on addressing/resolving this matter? I've seen different ads regarding reglazing and inserts. So that is where I am.

Thanks in advance for your assistance and thoughts.

bkt

Advertisement

PartlyCLDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Barry

Rewards Points: 25

Refinishing bath tub

If you had it done by a reputable professional, you should have a warranty. Mine is 5 years on the adhesion properties. If you had a "discount" job done, well, you get what you pay for. It should be able to be stripped and re-done correctly. A good job that is properly cared for should last at least 8 to 10 years.

Barry

Advertisement

Tub Refinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Refinishing bath tub

Seems like the job I got wasn't a good one...can't recall exactly what we paid. Anyway, I did some additional checking with other vendors and now realize there are better finishers out there. Pricewise they are about the same...$350-400. One vendor proposes a total of 6 coats (3 color/prep and 3 sealer/clear); other proposes 2-3 coats. Included in the price of both is removal of old finish and preparation of surface plus removal of old caulking...which other guy didn't do.

Also checked with Rebath...WOW! What they charge is shocking...over $2400 for a liner.

What is the best type of finish or paint?

Thanks,

bkt
PartlyCLDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Barry

Refinishing bath tub

IMHO, anyone who does not remove the existing caulk is not doing a professional job. They probably skimped in other areas as surface prep, etching, primers, and topcoats.

$350 to $400 including stripping is a pretty good price. I charge around $350 for glazing, and $100 additional for stripping.

A clear sealer should not be necessary if the proper type of coating is used. I use 3 coats of silane based primer, and 4 coats of a proprietary glaze which is an acrylic polymer. The glaze is made up of 3 components - resin, catalyst, and reducer. It has to catalyze for 30 minutes before application - same with the primer.

There are a few different types of topcoatings, but any kind of paint or epoxy are a no-no.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:46 PM   #5
Renovation Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

Refinishing bath tub

Okay,

So I know I am going to step on tub refinishers toes but here is my slant for you partly cldy.

There is a reason that tub refinishers only apply a warranty of a certain time period and that is because that is how long the adhesives company they utilize gives them. An applicator/ glazer/ refinisher will not give you a 10 year warranty if the company they purchases their product from only gives them a 5 year warranty. There is also a reason why warranties exist for a certain period of time in some cases and that is because that is all the longer the person giving out the warranty wishes to stand behind their product for.

The refinishing process is a finite process. It does not and will not last you 20 or 25 years it will last you 3 to 7 years at most. After that it starts to chip, ravel and deteriorate. If you wish to receive a product that is going to last then your only option is to install a new tub or have Re Bath (AHHHHHHHHHK OWIEE ON THE POCKET BOOK and the price you got was probably just for the tub how much were the wall panels they quoted you?) drop a shell over the old tub.

Yes, you are correct that the shorter tubs are not standard and that they are a special order item but would you rather have waited for the new tub to come in than be in the predicament that you are in right now?

If you are wanting to invest in the refinishing of the tub once again or is it time to replace the existing tub and maybe redo the bathroom? Yes that is going to be more expensive but if you are in the market anytime soon to remodel then I think I would wait and get a new tub at the time you do the bathroom.

Just food for thought

Good luck, be safe!
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

Refinishing bath tub

OUCH. Yes, reglazing can sometimes be a hard way to go. It's not bad if you are flipping a house and don't care about who is buying it or if it is for a bath that is seldom used. I have seen some fail in as little as 6 months, and some that still look good after 2 years.
ReBath does offer some 'tub liner only' jobs. but they are a bit over priced if you compare to other products they offer. You can have the whole tub replaced (not a liner), acryllic walls installed and a new valve for less than 5K and done in one day. As with any major home improvement, you should shop around and weigh your options.
1) Is this a 'quick fix' to get rid of the house?
2) If not, is time a concern? (Other baths in the house to use during traditional remodeling)
3) Is warranty of product important? (see #1)
And remember, the two places of best return on your home improvement dollars are in the kitchen and bath.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Renovation Contractor

Refinishing bath tub

I also wanted to mention something real quick also.

If you opt to go with Re Bath I beleive that they offer a lifetime warranty on their product but I think it transfers only one time but it may not transfer at all so the warranty goes with you not with the house.

Just food for thought.

If there is anything else we can be of assistance with please do not hesitate to ask and just to let you know I enjoy those bathroom renovations they are picky but well worth it in the end. You can visit my sites if you are looking for some inspiration for your next project as well.

Thanks and take care!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:42 PM   #8
Barry

Refinishing bath tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
Okay,

There is a reason that tub refinishers only apply a warranty of a certain time period and that is because that is how long the adhesives company they utilize gives them. An applicator/ glazer/ refinisher will not give you a 10 year warranty if the company they purchases their product from only gives them a 5 year warranty. There is also a reason why warranties exist for a certain period of time in some cases and that is because that is all the longer the person giving out the warranty wishes to stand behind their product for.
Totally untrue statement. Any professional refinisher will tell you that the manufacturer does not offer any warranty whatsoever. This is because they have no control over how the prep work is done, whether or not it is etched, and how the material is sprayed. The warranty is entirely up to the company that does the application.

Any job that fails in 6 months was not done by a pro. Probably some handyman off of Craigslist, or a homeowner using a kit from Home Depot. Guys like that give refinishing a bad rap because they don't do a good job, and they use inferior materials. I warranty the adhesion properties for 5 years, and in the hundreds of tubs I've done in the last 3 years, I've only had 3 warranty issues, all fixed at no charge.

The other issue is that people don't know how to take care of a glazed tub. If a renter is going to wash his car engine in it (it happens), guess what - he's going to mess up the glaze. There are some special precautions that will maximize the lifespan.

Bottom line is this. Will a new tub outlast a glazed tub? - yes. Glazing is designed to be an affordable alternative to replacement. But if a contractor charges $2000 to rip out and replace a tub, and I charge $350 to reglaze it, you could have it reglazed 5 times, once every 5 years, and still come out ahead. I've done them in $75,000 homes and $750,000 homes, rentals, flips, and owner occupied. You name it. If it's done right, people are happy with it.

Barry
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 PM   #9
Renovation Contractor

Refinishing bath tub

Dang, I knew I was going to upset him, sorry Barry.

I should have said I was speaking from my experiences with applicators in our area that are certified through Hawk Labs and they all give a 3 year warranty. I asked the most reputable of the ones I have ever dealt with why they only give a three year warranty they told me it was because Hawk labs gives them a 3 year warranty if the product is defective and that is what they warranty. So I was just speaking from my experiences and I knew it was going to upset you, once again I have found there is a reason that those applicators extend a three year warranty.

Yes, you are right you can get a tub refinished for a fraction of a new tub. But if a refinished tub (...and again speaking from experiences with the applicators in our area) fails every three years then in 20 years you will have refinished it nearly 7 times at the tune of almost $2500 so now the refinishing to make the tub last 20 years (or 21 years) has now exceeded the $2000 to rip it out and replace it and the homeowner has not had to endure the 2 day process (one day for application and following day for the refinisher to follow up to ensure that the finish took satisfactorily (I know I know the finish is ready almost instantly but again speaking from my experiences) and to clean up).

But, I will admit if this was a flip absolutly I would go for the reglazing if I didn't want to build value into the property but wanted to send the property down the street as quickly as possible. If it were my home and I wanted to have a tub that was going to last I would gut the bathroom and replace the tub and increase the value of the home but that is just me.

I am not going to nor will I ever knock a refinisher. There is a reason you guys have your time and place. You offer a service that rectifies an ugly old tub. I have used a refinishing service one time at the request of my client and WILL NEVER DO IT AGAIN! but that is just my experience. I now always advocate my clients to tear out the tubs and replace them and it isn't just to soak them for a pretty penny either it is just because in my experience that is the correct way to do things.

So, I have spoken my peace and Barry has spoken his so now Partly Cloudy you need to decide which direction you want to go. If you opt to replace the tub it will be a lengthier and more expensive process than refinishing but you may be in the same prediciment in 6 months or so if you opt to repair instead of replace.

Good luck and let us know if we can help you any further.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM   #10

Refinishing bath tub

We had our old cast iron reglazed. Of course, less than a year later it wa chipping and peeling at the drain and I drop a few things in the tub which caused dings and scratches to the reglazed paint.

Needless to say, we torn out the cast iron and now have a new Americast in there.

Last edited by Sephora; 08-19-2009 at 02:44 PM.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #11
Renovation Contractor

Refinishing bath tub

That is another point that Sephora brings up. If you happen to be redoing your car engine in your tub or maybe just have a heavy item in there and you happen to penetrate that top coat of paint it will lead to the adhesion failing over time (short or long term).

You also have to be careful what cleaning products you use as they too can have an adverse effect on a glazed surface but then again it does not matter what kind of surface you have you should be cautious of what cleaning solutions you use but IMHO this especially applies with refinished tubs.

Again like I have said before the reglazing process has its time and place however the homeowner needs to ultimatly determine if reglazing meets their needs.

Thanks Sephora!
Old 08-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #12

Refinishing bath tub

And all I dropped were Suave shampoo bottles!

We did have it done by a pro...it looked awesome at first. We only used Scrubbing Bubbles as advised and it still chipped. I think near the drain the water pools and causes to lift the paint.

I will never opt to reglaze again.
Sephora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 PM   #13
Barry

Refinishing bath tub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
We had our old cast iron reglazed. Of course, less than a year later it wa chipping and peeling at the drain and I drop a few things in the tub which caused dings and scratches to the reglazed paint.

Needless to say, we torn out the cast iron and now have a new Americast in there.
It's very unfortunate that you didn't get a good job done. Unfortunately, in every industry there are people who call themselves "pros" that don't deliver quality work. A real pro should have given you a warranty - mine is 5 years. 3 years in business I've never had a drain failure.

Barry

Advertisement