Red Oak And Cedar? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-30-2008, 12:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Red Oak and Cedar?

Of all the brochures for kitchen cabinets we've looked at, we never see red oak or cedar used. Is there anything wrong with either of these two woods for cabinet doors?

Advertisement

Artie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #2

Red Oak and Cedar?

No one? I can guess cedar might be because of the smell, but red oak seems like a nice wood.

Advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Red Oak and Cedar?

There are red oak cabinets. Oak is the most popular species of wood to use for making cabinets. Although, white oak is more widely used than red. White oak is harder and more dense so it's preferred over red.
There are also cedar cabinets. It's not a very popular material to use for cabinet making. It's a soft wood plus there's the smell issue. Typically northern or inland cedar will be less aromatic than western. I personally wouldn't want cedar cabinets. If you're going for the rustic look, I'd consider pine instead.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Red Oak and Cedar?

Red and white oak probably account for 50% of the cabinets that go in new homes around here. Other commonly used woods are maple, ash, alder, and walnut.

I haven't ever encountered cedar cabinets. It just doesn't lend itself very well to that type of application. Angus' recommendation of pine is a much better idea.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #5

Red Oak and Cedar?

Thanks guys. I'm not really interest in the rustic look per se. I was just wondering about cedar because its "pretty".

I'll probably go with red oak since it seems to be abundant and relatively inexpensive at places like Lowes and Home Depot.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:44 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Red Oak and Cedar?

Oh good golly...Don't buy your hardwoods at lowe's and home depot! You're paying easily twice what you can get it for elsewhere. Plus, everything's always crooked.

The other day I needed a 1x6-6' in red oak. I priced it at Lowes...It was over $20, so I talked myself into waiting.

Today, I went to a specialty lumber store and paid $1.49 per board foot...That's less than $5. That was for S2S1E (surfaced 2 sides, one edge straight-line ripped), which has a wild edge. Much cheaper, considering that you're going to rip it in a table saw anyway. You can even save more money if you buy rough stock and surface it yourself, if you have a planer.

I'd suggest calling some lumber yards...Not box stores...and check prices. If you're going to need enough lumber to build cabinets you're going to be able to save yourself a lot of money by getting your oak plywood and lumber at a hardwoods dealer.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:40 AM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Red Oak and Cedar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artie2 View Post
I'll probably go with red oak since it seems to be abundant and relatively inexpensive at places like Lowes and Home Depot.
Are you talking about building your own, buying their stock cabinets or ordering through HD?
Old 07-06-2008, 01:02 PM   #8

Red Oak and Cedar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Oh good golly...Don't buy your hardwoods at lowe's and home depot! You're paying easily twice what you can get it for elsewhere. Plus, everything's always crooked.
Thanks for the reminder. I tend to get caught up in the "convenience" trap, since they're both so close. I'll shop around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Are you talking about building your own, buying their stock cabinets or ordering through HD?
Definitely building my own. I might need to invest in a planer. It will easily pay for itself with the money I save by doing it myself.
Old 07-10-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Red Oak and Cedar?

You can definitely save a ton of money planing it yourself. If you can find a small local dealer that sells hardwoods it isn't hard to beat Lowes and HD's prices on oak. Just make sure that the stock you get is DRY.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:06 PM   #10

Red Oak and Cedar?

Thanks for the "dry" tip M6. I wouldn't have thought of that.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:59 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 10
Lightbulb

Red Oak and Cedar?

If you make the cabinets yourself. You might consider buying the doors they are very time consuming and costly. Most of the pro's get someone else to do there doors and drawer fronts.Material for boxes and face frame can be brought at hard wood suppliers fairly cheap .There are many door shops to pick from on the web BE CAREFUL not all use wood products. The company I have used most is taylor cabinet door co They are the the most helpful and offer all wood products. you can order online taylorcabinetdoor.com or by phone. Good luck on you project

Advertisement

caesar is offline   Reply With Quote