Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #1
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Share |

Recip/Demo Saw Blade Recommendation for Plaster Demo

Please note: I posted this under the category of "Tools" and am posting it again herein in hopes of reaching a larger audience.

I am performing some demo work in my 100 year old house. Today I was removing part of a ceiling to expose joists in preparation for erecting a new partition wall. I realized that at some point in time, someone came through and plastered over the original plaster ceiling and added a double layer of diamond mesh over the existing ceiling prior to installing the new plaster.

What is the best type of blade to use for cutting through the existing layers of plaster and mesh? There are blades that are advertised as being particularly adept at cutting plaster but what if you throw in the metal mesh?

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimmy View Post
What is the best type of blade to use for cutting through the existing layers of plaster and mesh? There are blades that are advertised as being particularly adept at cutting plaster but what if you throw in the metal mesh?
I'm a fan of Bosch for Bits and Lenox for blades. YMMV.

You'll need more than one blade though no matter what brand and you'll need more than one size (length) and more than one cut profile (teeth per inch).

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 04-21-2014 at 06:35 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:54 AM   #3
DIY staff

I use Milwaukee blades for demo---We gutted a kitchen in your town a month ago---the old plaster all came down--used 6 or 8 blades---

A drywall hatchet is handy ---are you just cutting a slot in the plaster ?

That might be a challenge----cutting the old wood lath without shaking the old plaster requires delicate cutting---
Old 04-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

Have access above?
Anyway to just add blocking in the space above and just screw through the plaster?
Checked for over head wires?
This blades worked best for me if I have to use a sawsall in plaster.
http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/carb...aw-blades.aspx
A Roto Zip with a tile bit will do less damage.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #5
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I use Milwaukee blades for demo---We gutted a kitchen in your town a month ago---the old plaster all came down--used 6 or 8 blades---
Hope that the inspectors were good to you. I've heard many stories from electricians who felt like they were being harrassed by the electrical inspector. Fortunately though, the guy who covers my part of the neighborhood is a good/fair guy.

Quote:
A drywall hatchet is handy ---are you just cutting a slot in the plaster ?
Basically I was going to remove a ceiling joist bay's worth of ceiling however when I got started, it appears whoever was there beforehand added the blocking that I need. That being said, I am now only removing about a plate's worth of ceiling.

Quote:
That might be a challenge----cutting the old wood lath without shaking the old plaster requires delicate cutting---
Like I said, someone came in after the original plaster was installed, screwed the lath in, covered the entire ceiling in diamond mesh and applied a very thick (and quite strong) layer of plaster. I only managed to get through a couple feet of it before my blade was toast and the existing ceiling didn't flinch. I do hear you, though. This is the first house that I've owned that contains plaster and I learned quickly that my recip saw does a great job of delaminating plaster from the lath, especially if you're intent is not full-scale demo!

Thanks for the input!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
Power Gen/RS Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Have access above?
Unfortunately, no (not unless I remove the finish/subfloor on the second floor which would lead to my wife killing and then divorcing me!).

Quote:
Anyway to just add blocking in the space above and just screw through the plaster?
Yep. Just looking for joists to attach blocking to so I can secure the new part wall.

Quote:
Checked for over head wires?
Fortunately, all wiring is either run in conduit or is armored. Regardless, I always inspect visually before tearing walls and ceilings down.

Quote:
This blades worked best for me if I have to use a sawsall in plaster.
http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/carb...aw-blades.aspx
A Roto Zip with a tile bit will do less damage.
I'm going to try your last suggestion before going at it again with the demo saw. I have actually used that approach before where I needed to cut openings for electrical boxes in walls that I didn't want to damage. I just didn't think that I'd have much luck with the mesh.

Thanks for the advice!
J
Old 04-21-2014, 07:15 PM   #7
DIY staff

If you have an angle grinder --with a full dust shroud---you can buzz through that with a diamond blade---

Do remember that the paint will contain lead---so take proper precautions if you resort to that---
Old 04-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #8
journeyman carpenter

mikes right, unless you have a full dust shroud a grinder will make a huge mess as it will fill the air with dust. you should also set up a large high velocity fan in a window with it blowing outwards to suck the dust out the window via negative pressure

recip blade wise i like using pruning blades for cutting plaster, the larger more aggressive teeth will last much longer before their worn off
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:28 PM   #9

There's also a dust shroud for recip saws called the "Saw Buddie".

I haven't ever used it, and it's fairly expensive...

PaintChips is offline   Reply With Quote