DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Recessed lighting confusion

8K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  troubleseeker 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,
I am a bit confused on the terminology surrounding recessed lights. I fully understand the IC and non-IC designations. My confusion comes when you begin to talk about the housing and trims. To me, the trim should mean nothing more than just a cosmetic trim ring and the housing should comtain everything else..is that correct? I did a search for 'recessed' on here and didnt come up with an answer to my question. I did however see that I should look at the Juno brand. So I am linking to a product at Lowes and will try to go by monday after work to check it out, but is this all i need (and some beauty trim ring)??

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=105146-38269-IC22&lpage=none
Juno Lighting
1 Light IC New Construction Housing Recessed Lighting

FYI: I am doing a new construction.
Thanks

#5 ·
Pretty much any of those brands are the same, I got the Halo contractor pack at HD, the important part is the IC/non IC and the new construction/remodel. I also recommend using one of those rotary cut out saws to cut the holes. You might only use it once, but the holes are perfect.

#6 ·
Hello everyone,
My confusion comes when you begin to talk about the housing and trims. To me, the trim should mean nothing more than just a cosmetic trim ring and the housing should comtain everything else..is that correct?

That depends on the manufacturer and model of the can. Lightolier(longtime), and Halo (recently) manufacture cans with baffle/trim inserts where the lampholder clips into the top of the baffle/trim piece and holds the bulb at the exact proper height and always centered, as oppossed to the cans that hold the bulb socket out on that trashy little piece of sheet metal that results in the bulbs almost always being off center in the trim, which in this case is usually a flimsy piece of plastic held in place by a couple of springs. I think these provide a far superior fixture and are worth taking a look at.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.