Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:09 PM   #1
banging thumbs

Rewards Points: 25

Recessed Fluorescent Lighting - how many

Our kitchen is pretty small, approx 14 x10. We originally thought that 6 fluorescent cans (6") would be good, but now I'm thinking that 4 might be enough. We are using fluorescent lights as required by California code. Any lighting experts care to chime in.

bakerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

bakerhouse,

I'm not sure of your situation but when I have access to do whatever I want, in a kitchen that size, I prefer to split the ceiling into 2 regions. I would use 4 5" in the center for general lighting and 4" around the cabinets for task lighting on separate circuits. I understand if you are not able, for various reasons to accomplish this, but if you can, you'll be very happy with the results. I always shy away from only cans in the center of the room because at night when you have those lights on, you create a shadow from your body on the counters. Of course, if you don't have a choice, there's not much you can do.
Also, I'm not sure of California code but couldn't you use standard socket cans and just use CFL bulbs? I believe standard cans are substantially cheaper than fluorescent only ones.
Here's a pic of what we try to do with recessed when possible. There are more 4" cans out of the pic on the left following the upper cabinets to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Fluorescent Lighting - how many-img_0977.jpg  

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:42 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Just found another picture of the remodel further along when installing the 4". You can see from this shot how the perimeter cans will light the counters (and inside of the cabinets when open) much better then just recessed that would be in the center of the room.
Attached Thumbnails
Recessed Fluorescent Lighting - how many-img_0996.jpg  
angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote