Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Recessed Ceiling - Hot or Not?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering doing something like this to break up the space in a long'ish basement... recessing the ceiling in two squares. Actually it's dropping the edges since the joist height remains constant... but it would create a look of two distinct spaces. Good bad? Better this way or just as one big flat ceiling?

Yes it would be a lot of extra drywall corner work, but that's okay. Would you bullnose the visible corners or should they just be square?

Thank you!

SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

What's the ceiling height?
That a whole lot of work and materials to do that.
(it's called a tray ceiling)

Old 05-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #3

The rough ceiling height is 7'. The finish ceiling height is 6'11.

Materials - 2x3 furring strips and some corner bead -- All cheap. The real cost is in my time, but if it looks cool when it's done then it's worth it.

Thanks regarding the tray ceiling name... I think it makes it look more like a theater personally...
Old 05-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 34

Ceiling height is already low I would not do it.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4

I know people hate it will I ask about building codes ...... LOL have you asked the building department what the minimum finished ceiling height has to be in a habitable space?

they may not have an issue with it, after all it's hard to strength things to get more height. only concern would be if you went to sale some may try to use the fact it is not compliant with codes as a way to get your down on price.

its a nice way of breaking up that long span of flat ceiling

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

GB, Yes I've seen you often reply with code concerns instead of to the topic at hand. :-) But, you've also given me good insight on some things so I welcome the thoughts.

So, tray ceiling or flat? Does it contribute to a nicer look? Most ppl finish a basement ceiling flat. They are not interesting, feature-less. I can't decide if this would change some reactions to "wow that's a neat feature" or "that looks silly and closed in"...

We follow the 2003 IBC -- The ceiling height is ok for a finished basement but will not be counted as living space. It was not marketed that way when we bought, and if we were to ever sell it would not be then either. Unfortunately most local basements were made to this 7' height.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4

I would do flat, but with the little twist you've added by dropping some section as you mentioned above. will break it up and give a nice look.

yes, I do rattle off codes because I find this something that people can easily overlook (I deal with them daily as a building designer) and I've seen people have to rip out their work when it failed inspection, or have to spend a lot more money and time to correct it. I guess I'm like that hall monitor in school asking where is your hall pass ..... LOL I like to see people have compliant construction the first time, don't know too many people with money to burn.

I've read your posts, and provided feedback (not only code) from time to time. your basement will turn out excellent and I look forward to seeing some finished photos.

did you ever read that article on floor deflection for tile flooring?

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBrackins View Post
did you ever read that article on floor deflection for tile flooring?
Of course. My takeaway was not much changed... Still L/360 for standing loads (the weight of the mortar bed, which is the bulk of the weight), which allows .4" in 12'. Then for an individual walking on it they want the floor to be rigid (1/360 is really immeasurable) which seems reasonable as you don't want your tile floors giving when you walk on them. My house was certainly not built to THAT standard, but hopefully it'll be closer after I'm done. I can't imagine getting 1/360 deflection with traditional wood construction tho with newer LVL and I-Beams it's gotta be doable.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #9

In my line of work I can confirm that the look adds aesthetic appeal which translates as perceived value, but I have never seen it done in a basement with a lower ceiling height to begin with. It will define the spaces if thats what you are trying to acheive.

Only you can decide if its worth the effort in the basement
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #10

Oops, nevermind.

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote