ReCaulking Windows & Trim - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-26-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 85

ReCaulking Windows & Trim

So apparently I used crappy caulk (DAP Acrylic Latex Caulk plus Silicone-Paintable) I caulked the crown molding and all the trim plus the windows. It looked great for the first couple of months and now a lot of it has cracked. I can understand if some of the trim was attached incorrectly - like the crown molding - but all of it?, seriously?

I've read over and over online I have to remove the old caulk...wow! I worked on a little piece on the windowsill this am and I don't see how this is possible without marring the crap out of the woodwork.

I looked around online and found Sashco 10024 Big Stretch Caulk. Is this stuff as good as it looks and people say? How do I possibly get the old cracked caulk off to redo this?

Advertisement

MsKitty32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:24 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,448

I just use Ace Hardware Branded Silicone caulk and never have had issues with it. Acrylic Latex caulk will always harden and dry out after a while. Especially in extreme cold environments.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 546

100% Silicone caulking should never be used on trim. It can not be painted.
Only caulking I use is Alex 230 and never had any problems with it.
Lot of the pro's on here like the big stretch.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #4

I used DAP Alex Plus for Windows and Door. I also bought but haven't tried yet Liquid Nails Super Caulk Window and Door .

I first saw it around the crown molding and I read online if the molding wasn't installed properly the caulk could crack. Not sure if that is true or not. Then I started looking around where the window meets the trim and that is cracked more-so in the corners. The baseboards and door trim caulking seems to be fine though.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
100% Silicone caulking should never be used on trim. It can not be painted.
Only caulking I use is Alex 230 and never had any problems with it.
Lot of the pro's on here like the big stretch.
Did anyone state anything about 100% Silicone caulk?
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 01-26-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 546

Any trim that's not nailed tight enough is going to be able to flex, expand, and contract. That's going to crack the caulking.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:10 PM   #7
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,340

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty32 View Post
I've read over and over online I have to remove the old caulk...wow! I worked on a little piece on the windowsill this am and I don't see how this is possible without marring the crap out of the woodwork.

How do I possibly get the old cracked caulk off to redo this?
What's done is done. You can only make the appropriate corrections and move forward and learn from your mistakes.

I ran into a similar situation, while it may not be the 100% correct way, it is a work around to your problem and looked fairly decent afterwards. The correct way, which you have found out, is a lot of work. It real depends on how critical you want it to look.

A little trick that I learned from an old painter (actually it has been around for a long time), is to remove as much of the old caulk as possible without gouging or marring the surfaces as you have mentioned. Try to keep this as uniformly as possible, then caulk over the remaining residue with a regular paintable siliconized caulk as others have recommended, prime and paint. This will help it bond to the surfaces and paint. Before doing this, you could try a little test area first and see if you like the results. Just my thoughts. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/recommendations.

Last edited by jmon; 01-27-2014 at 07:26 PM.
jmon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:36 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 158

Quote:
So apparently I used crappy caulk (DAP Acrylic Latex Caulk plus Silicone-Paintable)

Cheap comes out expensive. Use the OSI Quad
rosem637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosem637 View Post

Cheap comes out expensive. Use the OSI Quad
I like Quad myself but it is meant for exterior use only.

They supposedly make a product suitable for interior use, but I've never seen it on the shelf.
jponto07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #10

[/QUOTE]A little trick that I learned from an old painter (actually it has been around for a long time), is to remove as much of the old caulk as possible without gouging or marring the surfaces as you have mentioned. Try to keep this as uniformly as possible, then caulk over the remaining residue with a regular paintable siliconized caulk as others have recommended, prime and paint. This will help it bond to the surfaces and paint. Before doing this, you could try a little test area first and see if you like the results. Just my thoughts. Stay tuned, others will be along shortly with more advice/recommendations.[/QUOTE]

Does the priming and painting right after help avoid cracking? Because I hadn't primed and painted the areas I have previously caulked that have cracked.

I'm not sure how the little trick way should look. Are you going to even be able to tell that there was any remaining residue from the original caulk?
Old 01-28-2014, 08:51 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

You can, but it will help hold the new Silicone based caulk. Fine Home building article on caulks. http://www.finehomebuilding.com/how-...-sealants.aspx Probably the best site out there for information.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #12

Quote:

Maybe you are reading the wrong articles.

It is extremely important to remove exterior caulk and interior caulk that has failed. Shrinkage and/ or some cracks is not failure.

All caulk shrinks. The more you pay for the better grade the less it does. Touching it up when fully dry and shrunk is part of the job

Caulk should fill the crack and not be slathered on the surface.

Dap makes cheap, better and high quality caulk. The Alex plus that was mentioned above is a quality product IMO.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #13

I did have to go around and reapply more caulk after the first application cured because it did shrink some. I noticed when I was removing the cracked caulk it was securely bonded to the substrate (in my case trim to wall). I can understand that the crown molding is possibly not secured correctly so it may be shifting.

I know some people have mentioned silicone but I am thinking I might try using the Big Stretch caulk - acrylic latex. With the possibility of the substrate moving would the Big Stretch stretch and recover?
Old 01-30-2014, 05:43 PM   #14

I pretty much use the Alex+ for everything that matters. I buy the contractor pack.
Colbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #15
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 77

Quote:
So apparently I used crappy caulk (DAP Acrylic Latex Caulk plus Silicone-Paintable) I caulked the crown molding and all the trim plus the windows. It looked great for the first couple of months and now a lot of it has cracked. I can understand if some of the trim was attached incorrectly - like the crown molding - but all of it?, seriously?

I looked around online and found Sashco 10024 Big Stretch Caulk. Is this stuff as good as it looks and people say? How do I possibly get the old cracked caulk off to redo this?
To remove the caulk that is failing, you will want to cut it out as opposed to digging it out. You can use a utility knife or a snap blade razor knife. Cut the loose caulk on both sides and gently nudge it out with a putty knife to get it started and it should peel out easily. Dust the area out with a duster brush before re-caulking. The Big Stretch is a great product for certain applications
and should work great on the crown molding. However it never really hardens, therefore it can attract dust more than some caulks. I would use the
Big Stretch on the crown, and Dap 230 or Superior Sealants Bolt on the other trim. This is not an uncommon problem, I deal with it on many repaints. Good luck.

Advertisement

VAProPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VAProPainter For This Useful Post:
jmon (01-30-2014)