Rec Room Recommendation Required - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2010, 07:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Rec room Recommendation required

Hi,
We are looking to maybe finish our recroom this fall. The basement is framed and has insulation and vapour barrier. However the framing was done with 2x3 rather than 2x4 and also it seems kinda close to the walls. With the insulation in it is basically touching the walls and I"m not sure if this is right. We did have some ice forming on the concrete walls over the past 2 springs which I think was due to the insulation being right on the walls not allowing air to flow and also because there was a gap in the vapour barrier around the electrical panel.
I'm wondering what would be the best course of action.

1. Leave the framing as is and seal up the vapour barrier. Install drywall and continue on with the basement as is. I'm worried that due to the 2x3 I might have issues with putting up drywall and also maybe issues with the insulation being right on the wall.

2. Tear down the framing and install 2x4 which is stronger and maybe move it a bit out from the wall.

3. Leave the framing but spray foam the complete basement.

4. Leave the framing but put up insulation boards against the concrete walls and then put the insulation over that. The problem with this solution is that the current insulation would be too thick so we would have to either cut it thinner or buy new insulation.

Any suggestions will be appreciated !

Thanks
Jason

Advertisement

jasonb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Rec room Recommendation required

Answers will be based on your location.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote