Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #1

Share |

realistic to keep cabinets?

I am thinking of (a) trying to keep at least some of my knotty pine cabinets, or (b) installing all new cabinets... I would have to hire a cabinet man (or marry one of you) because the cabinets are 1 solid long piece... the kitchen measures only 122" x 112" (that is the building inspector in photo)
Attached Thumbnails
realistic to keep cabinets?-low-res-kitchen.jpg  

javagirl500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #2

In the way back days, that is how cabinets were built, as one long piece, and there were very few screws, all nails. Which makes modification harder. They were built on site, not trucked in from a manufacturer. It is very difficult to modify them but it can be done. This is usually not something for a casual DIY. A good cabinet person could do it.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:57 AM   #3

The present kitchen design is not a good one. I would get a new plan and new cabinets. I would repurpose the present cabinets somewhere else in the house or garage.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:33 AM   #4
NACE Coating Inspector

new cabinets would make use of your existing space more efficiantly and have much better storage space and features than most older built in units. i appericiate the marriage proposal, but i will need pics and your bank account balance before i can make any commitments. i like long walks on the beach and i dont want to work anymore so i hope that you have a good job that could support may drinking and gambling habbits.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 11:07 AM   #5

I have designed a layout which means removing only the sink and peninsula cabinets and leaving the long base and wall ones intact. Estimates from Panda and Home Depot for wood cabinets (uninstalled) run around $3500-$5000... keeping knotty pine cabinets would mean adding 1 custom blind corner base, 1 9" drawer, 1 30" sink and 1 12" base cabinet + a long shelf... plus I would want to repaint inside of old ones
Attached Thumbnails
realistic to keep cabinets?-cheap-kitchen.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 11:18 AM   #6

I wouldn't spend that kind of money to end up with that compromised design.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 AM   #7

You are right, Ron....new cabinets are much more expensive but in the end I would get what I want... overall the kitchen will be about $13,000-$14,000 including appliances... but that is with silestone counters and backsplashes...
Old 07-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by javagirl500 View Post
You are right, Ron....new cabinets are much more expensive but in the end I would get what I want... overall the kitchen will be about $13,000-$14,000 including appliances... but that is with silestone counters and backsplashes...
If you post the first floor room layout(and dimensions), we might be able to suggest a better setup for this project.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:38 PM   #9

1) Long wall=122"... existing upper and lower cabinets are 70" x 25"... the remaining area is empty except for short wall cabinets at top...appliances must have gone here in the olden days but new ones won't fit
this wall backs up to the bath (which is being gutted and all piping replaced)

2) No opposite wall... kitchen opens onto small dining area/hallway...which is visible with part of kitchen from living area

3) Two short walls-112" (but need 8" on each for existing wall light switches)... one wall has intact knotty pine wainscoting
the other has a "window/pass-thru" (36x40) that is 24" perpendicular to long wall and also has the sink under it (there is no dishwasher now)

4) Ceiling height is 96"
Old 07-28-2011, 01:54 PM   #10

I mean like this: