Re-purposing Old Shelving Material For A Wall - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2012, 03:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

re-purposing old shelving material for a wall

I took down an old shelving system in my basement and thought it would be great if I could re-purpose the materials and make a cool grey colored wood panel wall. From the picture gallery below, what steps are recommended for taking those materials and constructing a wall? How do I get the desired grey wood color?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1137698...eat=directlink

I would like to put this wall in the basement and it could be free standing in front of or attached to the wall currently there (which is made of cement then a pony wall on top of that, lath & plaster). The current wall dimensions are 10 1/2' width by 6 1/2' height - I'd imagine this new wall would cover as much of that as possible

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

anuvanoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:02 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

For me even if I had all the time in the world I would not be willing to put in all the work it's going to take to strip all those old flooring boards off, and pull all those nails to get them ready to go on the wall.
What's the plan once there ready to go up and you do not have enough to do the job? The new wood you would have to buy to make up what for what your missing would most likly be thicker because it's never been refinished.
How would you ever sand all that material once it's attached to a wall?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM   #3

Really!? It would take a lot of time? I measured it and it fits the whole wall with room to spare. The nails won't be taken out as they already follow a grid system from the shelving unit that would place well with framing. Also that big piece with all the panels already locked into place makes up a third of the wall so that cuts down man hours significantly... unless I'm totally missing something here, I'd imagine this would be relatively easy to construct.

It would essentially look something like this (panels instead of pallets though): http://momandherdrill.blogspot.com/2...ll-reveal.html
Old 05-02-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 712

I'm pretty sure those were just strips of scrap wood they attached to the studs.
Go ahead and try it and come back with some pictures.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:27 AM   #5

Yes, they're all from pallets. I originally was going to copy her exactly, but after learning my disassembled shelving system was locking panels i figured it would be a hell of a lot easier to use those instead.

Anyone else have any insight on a project like this?