Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2005, 06:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Raising and Re-Levelling a House??

Don't worry folks, I'm not trying to DIY this one... rather, I'm looking for some information on how this would be accomplished and what sort of company I should call to do it. I'm in the Tampa Bay, FL area and the house is one that I am strongly considering buying. It is a 1930 wood frame bungalow with a crawlspace foundation (looks like brick "piers" supporting timber beams on which the joists and sills rest). Unfortunately, for all its charm and excellent neighborhood, the house has a slight but noticeable tilt from front to back and the crawlspace is only about 8" in height, making it way too susceptible to flooding.

Assuming the that beams are in decent-enough shape (not too termite-damaged, that is), how are these two problems typically rectified and what would be a rough idea of the cost... $2k; $5k; $10k??? The house is 950 sf and one story. Any recommendations of firms in my area that could do this work would be welcomed, too. Thanks!

allpraisebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 10:58 PM   #2

I know a guy locally that bought house with the similiar situation. He dug out his crawler and then jacked up the house.

JustaFramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:15 PM   #3
Home Remodeler

You can call just about any foundation company and they will either quote it for you or refer you to another foundation company that will handle your particular type of foundation. As for the cost, in my experience of hiring this done for homes I'm remodeling, the range can be extreme (from 3k - 10k) depending on the current conditions of the piers and if beam work has to be performed during the leveling process. I have never hired anyone to excavate the soil from beneath an existing home, so I couldn't speculate on that cost.

One thing to consider in your cost analysis though is the interior work that will need to be done after leveling. Paneling and drywall tend to pop from the studs/joists on walls/ceilings and doors and frames always need work. Just a heads up.
rowanconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 07:02 PM   #4

Could you just use 2x4 or something inside to make your floors level. maybe this would make your home appear to be level, I don't know. What do the rest of you viewers think about this idea?
whitepa254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #5
Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepa254
Could you just use 2x4 or something inside to make your floors level. maybe this would make your home appear to be level, I don't know. What do the rest of you viewers think about this idea?
Not a proper fix. This might make the house look better but won't fix the problem.
One Man Shops
MinConst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #6

We did a simlar fix on a rental home we own. The floor was sagging bad and had some good termite damage. The crawl space was also very shallow, maybe 12". We had the whole 700sf home jacked up in several spots, leveled, many floor joists replaced and alll new advantek flooring installed for around $5000k.

We did not dig out the dirt to allow for more clearance, not sure that would be worth doing.
rm41400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:37 AM   #7
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm41400 View Post
We did a simlar fix on a rental home we own. The floor was sagging bad and had some good termite damage. The crawl space was also very shallow, maybe 12". We had the whole 700sf home jacked up in several spots, leveled, many floor joists replaced and alll new advantek flooring installed for around $5000k.

We did not dig out the dirt to allow for more clearance, not sure that would be worth doing.

In your situation, they must have taken up some of the flooring and gone tru the 'top' (rather than the crawl space). FWIW - that would be my method and the method we have used for the same repairs. Sometimes it's not just a matter of jacking up. It is not uncommon to find that the cause of the sag is a rotted main beam, with the floor joists simply 'crushed' into the softened wood of the beam. This too can be fixed...
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:42 AM   #8
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowanconstruction View Post
As for the cost, in my experience of hiring this done for homes I'm remodeling, the range can be extreme (from 3k - 10k) depending on the current conditions of the piers and if beam work has to be performed during the leveling process.

I agree with these ball-park figures and the factors that can also effect the pricing...
....It's about what we would charge to do something similar $3000.00 for minor sagging and jacking/ $5000.00 for the average amount of bringing the house to level. /$10,000.00 + if dealing with rotted/ damaged beams and replacement of multiple structural members....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote