Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #1

Share |

Questions about walls

I am rehabbing a condo and need some advice about finishing some walls I have partially taken down. I have attached a photo of the area I have removed the walls from. On the right side (part of the wall removed from floor to ceiling), I planned on attaching a 2x4 to the exposed masonry (all walls are masonry with cement over then a skin coat of plaster to finish) and capping the wall with drywall. On the left side, the plan is to attach a 2x4 to the top to make a finished platform to attach a bar height counter to (offset for seating at the counter). Here are my questions:

1. Does this sound like the right way to go?
2. If not, what would you suggest to "finish the end and top of the walls?
3. would it be better to take out what I have left and frame in the areas with 2x4 and drywall?

Thanks in advance for your input

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about walls-condo-rehab-006.jpg  

Last edited by kcin67; 01-18-2012 at 08:36 PM. Reason: no replies - changing title for more interest
kcin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #2

Questions about walls

101 views and NO replies??? REALLY????

Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #3

Questions about walls

I'll bite, why are you leaving that narrow short wall in place?
Why not remove it and build a 2 X 4 wall and Tapcon it to the floor.
Anytime I've seen a narrow wall like that you can push the top it back and forth a few times and snap off of the floor.
How do you plan on attaching 2 X 4's to the ceiling and walls with nothing left but a row of holes in the blocks.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM   #4

Questions about walls

Joe,

That is why I am asking the questions. I was trying to decide if it would be easier to cap off the end of the short wall on the left (being used to close off the cabinet row. Wall will be 28" deep) or drop it too and just wood frame everything in. There is going to be a matching 28" deep wall where you see the refrigerator that will close in the fridge and that space, so the short wall on the wall by the stove is for symmetry. In thinking about it more, I am wondering if it would not just be easier to frame in both walls with 2x4's as it would then be easier to run the electrical (for light switches, plugs, etc)through a framed wall as opposed to running through the masonry.

What are your thoughts on the "half wall" that will receive the counter? The thought there is the 42" high wall you see with a 36" high, 28" deep wall (framed in with 2x4's) on the end to close in the cabinets going in on that side. Better to frame the whole thing?
Old 01-21-2012, 12:30 AM   #5

Questions about walls

[quote=kcin67;827662]Joe,

I am wondering if it would not just be easier to frame in both walls with 2x4's as it would then be easier to run the electrical (for light switches, plugs, etc)through a framed wall as opposed to running through the masonry.quote]

Uh, you think?
And... the Tapcon screws are ... well equally obvious necessities!
Have fun!!
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #6

Questions about walls

Yes frame it up.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote