Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Share |

Question about sistering joist in second floor bathroom

Hi, all. I bought a 1925 twin three years ago and I've finally decided to go about renovating one of the bathrooms. I thought I'd chosen the easy, smaller second floor bath, but it seems I was wrong. The bathroom has a poured concrete subfloor (surprise!) which I'm in the process of removing. I understand that I can sister the hatcheted joists to make them level for plywood and cement board. I'm having trouble with the back corner near the toilet. The drain for the toilet enters the stack right at the level of a floor joist. I'll post a photo and try my best to explain. As to the orientation of the photo, you're looking at the party/common wall. The rear exterior wall is to the right. To the left of the toilet drain and water line is a joist/ledger(?). That's notched at the bottom and sits on a beam that's a bit thicker than 4". That beam goes into the brick/cinderblock wall. To the right of the drain is another joist/ledger(?) that has 2x boards spanning it and the next joists, just as most wet bed floors do. my question is...can I sister a short joist in the right corner to support my new subfloor? Also, would I have to add support along the rear wall? The beam there is about 2" away from the exterior wall to allow for radiator plumbing. I'm sorry if this is confusing. I can take more pictures if needed. Thanks for any input!

side note: the plumbing lines going over the joists is being re routed.

ChillyPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #2

Here's another pic of the rest of the bathroom. Sorry it's so blurry!

Old 09-17-2012, 10:30 PM   #3

Sorry I don't quite understand.
Is the joist notched for that 3" or so line ?
and the white one runs over top and beside it?
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:38 PM   #4

Yes, the joist you're referring to is notched...if you consider half of it missing notched. The previous owner did some "repairs" and we're going to move those lines to run between or through the middle of the joists. But I'm referring to the joist behind that one. The floor doesn't feel unstable right now and it never shared any signs of cracked tile. In fact, that small section took an entire day to remove carefully.

Tags
bathroom, cement subfloor, hatcheted, joist, peaked