Putting A Door Where This Window Is ..... - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #1
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rewards Points: 500

Putting a door where this window is .....

We were going to put our door to the deck where there was no door at all due to the fact that the giant closet in our den would have made a nice mudroom.

Right now we are considering putting it here instead - seems like it would give the house better "flow".

Ceiling height may be a bit of an issue w/ the header if we go with a full double door due to header size. We were thinking maybe it would be possible to just put a regular 36" full view door where the big window in the middle is.

Of course it comes down to whether or not there is actually support where the red lines are. When a window like this is framed, is it normal to have studs all the way through or are these things usually installed as one giant unit?

This is in an addition from approx 1950 - 1955 (nobody really knows)
Attached Thumbnails
Putting a door where this window is .....-window.jpg  

Advertisement

CoconutPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post
We were going to put our door to the deck where there was no door at all due to the fact that the giant closet in our den would have made a nice mudroom.

Right now we are considering putting it here instead - seems like it would give the house better "flow".

Ceiling height may be a bit of an issue w/ the header if we go with a full double door due to header size. We were thinking maybe it would be possible to just put a regular 36" full view door where the big window in the middle is.

Of course it comes down to whether or not there is actually support where the red lines are. When a window like this is framed, is it normal to have studs all the way through or are these things usually installed as one giant unit?

This is in an addition from approx 1950 - 1955 (nobody really knows)
I don't see a problem with what you want to do, there is a header above the entire window so you will have plenty of support for a 36 inch door. If that center window is 36 inches wide you should have enough room to install double hung doors. If it were mine I also would install an aluminum pan under the door to keep water out as it looks like that wall isn't protected by a large overhang.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-09-2011 at 10:44 AM.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #3
Coconut Pete's paella!

There is an overhang of about 8" or so, but nevertheless I agree that a pan under the door is a good idea.

That window is right around 36" - I need to pull some trim and see what kind of opening I can actually create there, but I suppose worst case I could buy a 32" door instead.

We just used the deck for the first time yesterday and realized how much we need a door there. Not only that but the kitchen is coming out soon and the grill will be the only source of "hot" cooking - well except for the microwave - for a few weeks.

The 36" door seemed like a nice compromise between going all out w/ double french doors and not doing anything.

Either way though - I'm feeling pretty good about it - Thank you.

Last edited by CoconutPete; 05-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Coconut Pete's paella!

Well - got the ductwork moved today, so there's really only one thing left to do and that is to start chopping!

One decision I am left with is what to do w/ the short piece of wall under the door? I built the deck so I'll have about a 6" step down onto it just because of snow etc. Between that 6" and the 2" or so the siding extends below the deck level (it's free standing so there's a tiny gap between the deck and the house). I found examples of the siding left there - is that the normal thing to do? Does anyone build it differently?
Old 06-17-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Pete....How wide is that center glass?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12penny View Post
Pete....How wide is that center glass?
When the trim and the pane is pulled, the opening will be roughly 35.5" or so. I will probably have to plane a piece of lumber down to 0.75" and attach it to either side to get the 34" rough opening.
Old 06-17-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
Not so new

[quote=CoconutPete;644391]Ceiling height may be a bit of an issue w/ the header if we go with a full double door due to header size. We were thinking maybe it would be possible to just put a regular 36" full view door where the big window in the middle is.

34.5" RO is a 32" door.

I would'nt consider it normal. I think you'll find thats one window or 3 windows put together on site. Certainly there are no studs there. IMHO that opening will become to small once you do frame a rough opening.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:06 PM   #8
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,500

[QUOTE=12penny;668905]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutPete View Post

34.5" RO is a 32" door.

I would'nt consider it normal. I think you'll find thats one window or 3 windows put together on site. Certainly there are no studs there. IMHO that opening will become to small once you do frame a rough opening.
Iím not quite fallowing you on this one.

What Iím seeing is a single unit under one header for a 6/0 opening. Plenty of room to do what he wants. He should be able to just pop off some trim inside and determine what he has.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:20 PM   #9
Not so new

Dohhhh! The way I read it he wanted to put a single door in between the 2 casements.
Old 06-17-2011, 03:34 PM   #10
Coconut Pete's paella!

Correction time: My bad, I had too many measurements in my phone and posted the wrong one.

12Penny: You are right - I do want to put a single door in between the two casements.

My bad if I worded it the wrong way.

Also ... about the measurements. I had too many notes written down and gave you the wrong number. The distance in between is actually 37 3/4".

Since the rough opening needs to be 38.5" for a 36" door I believe the 32" door would be the better/more realistic choice allowing me just under 2" on either side to "beef up" the frame.

Here are some pics to help explain.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting a door where this window is .....-window1_986x739.jpg   Putting a door where this window is .....-window2_986x739.jpg   Putting a door where this window is .....-window3_986x739.jpg  
Old 06-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

The window opening could be framed a few ways.
There could be one header across the whole opening.
Or
There could be one header over each window.
Find out what you have before ordering a door.
Looking at it, there's only enough space for 1, 2x4 between the side windows and the picture window.
So it's either framed incorrectly or there's one header across the whole opening.
Open both sides of the RO and take a measurement to determine what you want to do.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 09:10 PM   #12
Coconut Pete's paella!

Rainy day tomorrow = Chop time!

Will be back w/ pics after I rip off the trim and open the wall.

Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
Coconut Pete's paella!

OK, did some demo today. Looks like there is one big header across the whole thing.

Clearance might be an issue here. As you can see, the 82.25" Sweet spot is 2.25" into the header.

This got me thinking though .... the 6' wide french doors seem to call for a rough opening height of 80" instead of 82.5. That would leave me only needing to find 0.25" somewhere. I think between the two layers of linoleum tiles on the floor alone I can find that.

The last pics is of the bottom - The studs are where the blue painters tape is. I can't make sense of the placement of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting a door where this window is .....-window_demo_1.jpg   Putting a door where this window is .....-window_demo_2.jpg   Putting a door where this window is .....-window_demo_5.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000

Andersen might make a reduced height door. Check with them.
I don't understand what you mean by this, "The studs are where the blue painters tape is. I can't make sense of the placement of them."
What studs are you speaking about?
There looks to be a vent there. The studs might be the rough opening the ductwork is attached to.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #15
Coconut Pete's paella!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Andersen might make a reduced height door. Check with them.
I don't understand what you mean by this, "The studs are where the blue painters tape is. I can't make sense of the placement of them."
What studs are you speaking about?
There looks to be a vent there. The studs might be the rough opening the ductwork is attached to.

Below the window there are 3 studs. I have marked the location of them w/ those 3 small pieces of painter's tape.

The duct is "dead". I had the line re-routed. The tape is over it so my Yorkie doesn't get adventurous.

Several 7' wide french doors seem to e 80" instead of 82" so I am leaning in that direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Putting a door where this window is .....-window_demo_5.jpg  

Advertisement