Putting A 'decorative' Brick Wall In Basement - Weight Issue? - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Putting a 'decorative' brick wall in basement - weight issue?

I am a few steps closer to finalizing the designs for my basement music studio and lounge. I have always wanted a studio in an old building, but that shall not come to pass. SO... I'd like to put in some brick wall features in the basement. I have found several places that I can get used bricks (ideal) for around $.25 each, so I can probably do as much or as little brickwork as I'd like. My concern is WEIGHT. At 6-10lbs a pc, we are talking poundage in the THOUSANDS if I do a large wall area. Or multiple.

Is this a legitimate concern?

If it matters - house is in Ohio, 1940s construction, full dig out and repoured 4" concrete in basement several years ago (before I bought it).

Thanks much.

Advertisement

jefferyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

No concerns.

If you are doing this on an exterior wall, or a structural wall (down the middle), then the slab is resting on the footing at that point. You can also use some wall ties to tie the brick to the masonry wall (or framed wall).

I've seen decorative walls laid on framed floors with plenty of wall ties.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 712

SOmething that would be a whole lot faster, easyer, no weight issues, and would be removable if you ever had to sell would be a mural.
http://www.muralsyourway.com/brick-wall-mural/
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thanks for the replies, and info on the mural. The bricks in that mural are exactly the look I am hoping for.

Due to some ongoing, yet very minor, issues with efflouresence and seepage in a few isolated places, I am building walls and leaving an airgap between the ext foundation walls and the interior walls. Then allowing for air to move freely.

Sounds like I need to utilize the space right up against the ext wall to put the weight over the footers. Which I figured.

Still have some design decisions to be made, but this is a big help - not getting a "no way, don't do it" is enough infor for me to move forward.

Will be posting a build journal once started. Also partitioning the garage for a work room at the same time...so LOTS to do.
jefferyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 712

The wall does not need to be built over the footer. It's a nonsupporting wall and the load is spead out over a large area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote