Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-08-2007, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Pull Down Attic Stairs HELP!

Hi, I have very limited LENGTH where i can put my stairs/frame, the 24' width is no problem but most all the lengths i have run into is 50"+ in length and i just dont have the length. there is a square hole now but i need to use a ladder to get up there and that is insane. the reason i can only use a smaller length is because whom ever put the air condition unit in the attic, underneath there is a square tub like thing under it, i guess to catch any water, and that is eating up some more space. i really dont want to have to move the whole air condition setup in the attic, that is insane also, but this is the only space i can put the stairs. i dont want to put it in a bedroom (no room) and the closets are to small. so heeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! i have a big attice with flooring and everything, but what is the use if i cant get things up there..... is there a 36' length (8' ceiling x 22 x 36-38)

Last edited by OhBoy; 11-08-2007 at 10:10 AM.
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to dark7068

we have a good size attic in our house, and has a pull down, swing out ladder set up in our bedroom. We jsut bought this house so i need to make it look better. Anyways, the door is 24"x52", and the ladder is 3 sections. I can take pix of it. it looks ok and works great, jsut needs some finishing on the door part.

dark7068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #3

I need length of 36" or 38", i know i can get longer, thats no problem, i need shorter. 8' ceiling 22" x 36" or 38" thanks
OhBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to dark7068

ok, sorry i couldnt help.

our ladder is 3 sections, one is 4 ft, one is 3ft, last is 2-1/2 ft.

heres pix here

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...n_owner/house/
dark7068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 02:21 PM   #5

This ladder requires a 22" x 22" rough opening:

http://www.thecontractorsexpress.com...ACT_MATCH=TRUE
spebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 38

You are thinking way too much into it. When attic stairs are folded up, the space is still aprx. 24" by 42" for the opening. How large in size are the items that you are trying to fit up in the opening?

BTW, Warner Ladders are pretty much the norm now days for attic entrance ladders.
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 AM   #7

I need to access my attic and having problems finding a 12' attic ladder. I came across Werner's Televator attic ladder, which is perfect, expect it only comes in 8' and 10'. My attic opening is at least 12' and located in my laundry room. The space is very limited with the washing machine and dryer. The alignment of the attic opening does not allow for foldable ladders. Please help if you know of another manufacturer or option that can work for me.

I appreciate any advice.

JK
jungkim24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Place the opening in another location such as the hallway, or if you garage is attached, that may work. As for the height, you can get extensions for the ladders for cases such as yours.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #9

From the sounds of it you will most likely have to IMPROVISE a set for your own use.Saw/extra hinges/screws a few beers and a friend to take pictures.

Good Luck...............

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 03:01 PM   #10

I'm having a new house constructed (MS) and need to locate plans or kits for non-folding pull down stairs to be mounted inside my garage. I have no space limitatons and am hunting something very strong and safe to use.
nicksteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 09:15 PM   #11
Retired from the grind

There are no plans, other then what the Architect says is safe. As for in the Garage, you need to make sure that there can be no intrusion into the living space for Exhaust fumes.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:04 AM   #12

What I'm hunting is something that pulls down, but as a unit without folding. My garage parking space is 22x22, detached by a breezeway, with no exhaust issues. All the units I've seen are made for limited space and are more like folding ladders than stairs. I need something that is one piece, strong and less vertical.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Retired from the grind

All ladders are either going to be a fold up/store away, or telescoping. Nothing is a One piece, unless you want to keep a 10-12' ladder on the wall.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:56 AM   #14

Guess I'm not being very clear. Sorry.

I want a design or buy unit for a one piece stair - not ladder. My garage ceiling is 10' high. I am thinking about something that is hinged on one end and swings down as a one piece unit with normal stair steps. Given the ceiling height, it could actually swing up to store below and parallel to the ceiling.

I have found references for disappearing one piece stairs, but cannot find anything on the internet. If no other way, I can try to have my builder design something, as he is quite creative. I was hoping to find something like a one piece metal stair with normal steps that could be adapted to pivot on one end and lay parallel to the ceiling when when not in use. The bottom side would be boxed to cover the stair when raised. I would use a manual or electric winch to raise and lower.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #15
Retired from the grind

You are talking about something that cannot be done. Not only would you have to have it 15' from where the end plants itself on the ground, but the weight alone will not be something that you will want to deal with. We are talking about something that would have to have a hoist system in place to lift it, and a way to lock it into the ceiling. I personally would not do it.

Last edited by gregzoll; 06-22-2008 at 10:57 AM.