Properly Insulated Crawl Space. - Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Properly insulated crawl space.

I have a few concerns in regards to an existing back porch that is going to be turned into a small bathroom/ mud room.
The porch is not on a foundation but is supported by solid steel pipes in concrete on each side as well as two treated 6x6 supports on each corner. It is framed in and closed off with treated lumber, and solid plywood covered with vinyl.
I am concerned with the plumbing being covered and insulated. The drain for the sink, shower, and toilet will be underneath this area but will enter house to connect to existing main drain. I was just going to insulate the floor, and then frame in around the plumbing and insulate that as well..? open and looking for suggestions..

Advertisement

jrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

We would need to know the location of the property to make a suggestion on insulation.

Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 12:25 PM   #3

new york.
Old 12-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

I suggest getting a building permit for this room conversion. Your H.O. Insurance carrier will want a paper trail also when you go to sell showing the work is up to minimum Code.

Gary
Old 12-27-2010, 09:19 PM   #5

Of course. But my question is, is what I am explaining sufficient for this type of project. I only planning as of right now and just want to get some things correct and am looking for suggestions.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrude View Post
Of course. But my question is, is what I am explaining sufficient for this type of project. I only planning as of right now and just want to get some things correct and am looking for suggestions.
An important insulation consideration is that insulation cannot generate heat.
All insulation does, is slow down the loss of heat. So, even though you cover the pipes with many inches of insulation, without heat being supplied, eventually the temperature inside the insulation will equal that of the outside.
In this case, running a heating cable along side of the pipes and inside the insulation would solve this problem.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,052

You need a poured concrete footing with a block/pored concrete stub wall (or approved wood foundation system) to elevate the siding 8" above the earth nearby. The foundation crawl space needs to be ventilated or conditioned and insulated with house air exchanges. The floor joists need insulation per your location requirements: on the map, or below it in the City/State list for your Zone: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...001_par001.htm

Compare Zone to requirements for floor insulation: http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico..._11_sec002.htm
Cover the earth with plastic vapor barrier. List the new room with your H.O. Insurance for protection (water damage) and the paper trail when you sell so you claim it as per Code to get full price wanted. The pipes will be enclosed by the required foundation walls.

Gary
Old 12-28-2010, 07:13 AM   #8

Thank you guys.

Advertisement