Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Proper Vinyl Window caulking With Hardi-plank

We had a contractor replace the siding and two windows on our garage with hardi-plank and new vinyl windows. After the work was done I noticed a couple small parts of caulking that got missed - not a big deal. Yesterday we were painting the new siding and realized there was caulking around both sides and the bottom of the new windows, but when I was up on a ladder painting, I noticed there was no caulking on the top of the window from the edge of the siding to the window trim (about 1/4"-1/2" gap). I figured they forgot to caulk the area and so I went ahead and caulked.

I talked to my neighbor (a pm for a gc) last night and he said the reason they did not caulk the top of the windows was to allow trapped moisture to escape out and around the windows.

So this morning I decided I should try and cut the caulk out from the top of the windows since it sounded like the contractor didn't caulk up there for a reason. Well...I was running a razor to cut the caulk out and noticed I was slicing the waterproof membrane used to seal the windows. So I decided to stop what I was doing and now I don't know what to do. I live in Portland Oregon so we have a very wet climate. I'm not sure if I should continue to try and get rid of that caulk or just re-caulk the whole area and be done with it.

Garage was wrapped with home wrap and the windows are just builder grade vinyl windows from Jeld-Wen. They are installed with the factory flange and "z" flashing over the trim and a waterproof membrane was added over the flanges. hardi-plank over the top of everything else.

fitzofury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #2
Mod

I'd still try to get the caulking out it doesn't have to be a perfectly clean job just good enough not to trap the water. A far as cutting the membrane your probably alright since you cut it so low there is still at least 1”+ of it stuck to the top flange of the Z metal. Just go a little easier on the rest of it.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:33 PM   #3

Kwik - thank you very much for the prompt reply. I think I can more skill-fully cut the caulking out with the razorblade. I just kind of forgot about the waterproof membrane initially when I was slicing and I only sliced an area about an 1" long before I realized what I was doing and stopped. Thanks again!
fitzofury is offline   Reply With Quote