Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2009, 01:26 AM   #1

Share |

Previous owner's cheapness is my remodel motivation

So this past weekend another of the Previous owner's "shortcuts" has lead me to up the remodel of the bathroom to now rather than later. We have 2 bathrooms in the house and this past Saturday I noticed a 2x4 ft wet spot in the downstairs ceiling. Checked upstairs bathroom and the floor and walls are dry as a bone.

it seems when the PO installed the upstairs toilet, he forgot to seal it properly. The wife sees this as the perfect opportunity to get the bathroom remodel she always wanted. And now that she is preggo, she wants it done ASAP!

Anyone know where to get bronze faucets as a complete kit? i.e. sink, bath and shower.?

newbieowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
BIGRED

Check all of your local building supply and plumbing supply outlets for the items you are looking for. Just be sure to ask for items with a "Lifetime Warranty". Not a lifetime warranty for the finnish. What you should find is that those items with a "Lifetime Warranty" are made of Brass and/or Bronze and have heavy Chrome or polished Brass surfaces that will not be affected by cleaners, mineral content in the water, or rough abuse.

Grampa Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Renovation Contractor

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

ow with that said I am sorry to hear about the bathroom. But in the same breath if you can swing it and the bathroom is in need of being renovated/ remodeled then yes this is the time and she is right. The dust and other ills that come along with this process are not good for anyone but especially bad for those small lungs. It would also be unfair for you to expect a remodeling contractor or yourself to keep the project dust free throughout the home even with zipwall or other items it is just a hard thing to do.

I am curious to know what is in that upstairs bathroom and its proximity to the wet ceiling. This dry floor and walls tells me it is something below such as a leaking drain or other issue. Also I am curious why you are looking for bronze fixtures? Are you seeking the Oil Rubbed Bronze or are you looking for antique brass? If you are looking for a complete set of Oil Rubbed Bronze or ORB then you will find many sets out there with ORB but be prepared to spend more money as high demand = higher pricing. You may have to order the toilet with orb but you could go to a bath specialty retailer and they will probably be more helpful and knowledgeable than the big box stores will.

Good luck with the project and if there is anything further you are looking for information wise don't hesitate to ask
Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragon View Post
First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

ow with that said I am sorry to hear about the bathroom. But in the same breath if you can swing it and the bathroom is in need of being renovated/ remodeled then yes this is the time and she is right. The dust and other ills that come along with this process are not good for anyone but especially bad for those small lungs. It would also be unfair for you to expect a remodeling contractor or yourself to keep the project dust free throughout the home even with zipwall or other items it is just a hard thing to do.

I am curious to know what is in that upstairs bathroom and its proximity to the wet ceiling. This dry floor and walls tells me it is something below such as a leaking drain or other issue. Also I am curious why you are looking for bronze fixtures? Are you seeking the Oil Rubbed Bronze or are you looking for antique brass? If you are looking for a complete set of Oil Rubbed Bronze or ORB then you will find many sets out there with ORB but be prepared to spend more money as high demand = higher pricing. You may have to order the toilet with orb but you could go to a bath specialty retailer and they will probably be more helpful and knowledgeable than the big box stores will.

Good luck with the project and if there is anything further you are looking for information wise don't hesitate to ask
Home Depot and Lowes wanted too much for oil rubbed bronze fixtures so I went to Blackman Plumbing and got quality pieces for the same price as those stores. We also got a nice 20" deep Kolher soaking tub she always wanted.

so far with fixtures, tub, tiles and other necessary materials we have spent $1200. The price is so low because my wife is preggo and a good haggler.....who wants to argue with a VERY pregnant woman???
Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
BIGRED

NOT me ! ! !
Old 07-15-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Household Handyman

That why I ask strange pregnant women to go shopping with me- -they go get good deals!
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:37 PM   #7

progress so far:

cutting up original tub. wife is so happy to see this go!
http://i31.tinypic.com/epke9i.jpg

Toilet and vanity gone
http://i30.tinypic.com/33dl0r7.jpg
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #8

here's a dull cellphone pic of the tile with glass mosaic. We want a line of these all around the bathroom.
http://i27.tinypic.com/2v1alqq.jpg

Tub all gone, yea!
http://i32.tinypic.com/20k635t.jpg

We did not run into any "hey, you've got mold" suprises. But this is something we never expected.
http://i31.tinypic.com/5mwvuc.jpg
yup that's the drain for the toilet. And yes it is about 2in. from the subfloor. I had to go out and purchase plywood to build up.

Last edited by newbieowner; 07-15-2009 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:17 PM   #9

picked up the new tub today!
http://i31.tinypic.com/zt7vj4.jpg

Last edited by newbieowner; 07-18-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #10

Oy vey!

what is it with home supply companies and sticking to their promises?!! I have been waiting on my fixtures they told me would be here in three days. Now I am getting a different story now that the check's cleared!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #11
BIGRED

Sounds like Bait & Switch doesn't it ?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:45 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Bud View Post
Sounds like Bait & Switch doesn't it ?
The wife (God I love her) had enough of the run-a-round. She took their quote to home depot, got a price match AND a 10% discount for the same fixture.

As for the bathroom reno............All the walls are twisted! And I mean ridiculously twisted.
The Bathroom is sandwiched between my son's room and the baby's room. There is no way to fix without removing the walls/frame. And the Nursery has just been done.

well, we will be forced to live with this remodel and all its little imperfection. The wife doesn't care as the main thing for her is the soaking tub.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM   #13

Hey there, can you reduce the size of that pic to, say, 700 pixels or less? Most of us aren't running displays high enough to work with it. That large image runs off the screen and takes all the text with it so that readers have to constantly scroll from right to left to read each post. Generally, I like to keep my images to no wider than 700 pix...
Old 07-18-2009, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpetualjon View Post
Hey there, can you reduce the size of that pic to, say, 700 pixels or less? Most of us aren't running displays high enough to work with it. That large image runs off the screen and takes all the text with it so that readers have to constantly scroll from right to left to read each post. Generally, I like to keep my images to no wider than 700 pix...
fixed.