Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #1

Share |

preventing further ceiling sag

Hi, I am obviously new to this forum, and somewhat new to home improvement. I have a friend who does know most of this stuff (together we can do most stuff), but he is not sure about this question. We bought a house and the dining room ceiling is sagging. We had a structural engineer look and he determined that the ceiling is safe, but should eventually be shored up. A year later we are ready to tackle this. Please forgive me if I use the wrong terminology... My father in law says we should put in an steel ibeam across the joists to raise the ceiling and secure it. This will be alot of work, and the one wall that the ibeam would need to go through could be a problem. I was thinking we could use some type of jacks at certain intervals. I don't really want to raise the ceiling, but just use the jacks to stablize it and make sure it does not sag anymore. I would like to build a wall around the jacks to permanently hide them. Is this possible with the right kind of jacks and plan in place? If so, we will go with this. Thanks!

gamedude610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Sorry, we can't really answer this as we don't know the overall design of the structure.
Example: What is above the area, the design of the area, the layout of the joists, their dimensions, room dimensions, the structure that you propose to set the I-beam onto (that needs to hold that weight,....etc, etc...)

You might try ringing up that structural engineer and getting his take on it, since he has actually been onsite and done an evaluation based on the home's design and layout...

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 08:51 AM   #3

I understand. I am just trying to avoid the cost of having him out again. Again, I am just trying to get an idea as to whether this is theoretically possible given the right conditions. If the jacks could ever be used as an alternative to an ibeam in the right conditions. The reason being I am reading about people who say they are not to be used permenantly in basements because of fires. Some people seem to say it is ok regardless of fires. Just a general idea.
gamedude610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedude610 View Post
... If the jacks could ever be used as an alternative to an ibeam in the right conditions. The reason being I am reading about people who say they are not to be used permenantly in basements because of fires. Some people seem to say it is ok regardless of fires. Just a general idea.
Close Call
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 10:59 PM   #5

From your post I don't get a clear understanding on your plan with the jacks. I do understand that you don't have a sense or have conveyed a sense of what's involved in this project. The post is vague as to the details how you plan to do it.
You can't just slap up some jacks and think this is a plan. Why don't you detail what your plan is and we can tell you if it is feasible.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:10 PM   #6

What is above the dining room? Is there space to work?

My living room ceiling was sagging and I was thinking about reducing it with hangers from the roof peak, but instead ran with the suggestion of putting in a box-beam (2x4 top and bottom, plywood sides, stiffeners every 24" inside). Each end is anchored on top of a wall and the ceiling joists are hanged with hurricane ties. This got rid of over 3 inches of belly.

ldanielrosa is offline   Reply With Quote