Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 09:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Preparation for a tile counter top

Ok, before you all start saying this is a bad idea...i realize this isn't the best or preferred method of doing a counter however, the counter was custom built and is to wide for a standard prebuilt throw in solution. The whole kitchen is seriously outdated and just needs to be gutted and start from scratch but we don't have that kind of money right now. I don't want to put in something that 5-10 years from now when we rip it out, I don't fret over the wasted money so... here's my question.

Do I have to use backer/cement board on top of the plywood? I'm hoping to avoid this purely due to the fact that the counter is already unusually tall (which at 6'6" I love) and theres not much room between the surface and over head cabinets as it is.

Could I get away with just using some sort of waterproofing/de-coupling membrain such as ditra? I realize use of this product brings me up to around the price to relaminate, other than the fact that I have left over from the bathroom floor...

Thanks in advance!

epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #2

What base are you tilling on? Is this a laminate you're putting ply on top of?
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #3

No, its bare bones plywood that I'd be tiling on...old laminate was turn off.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:51 PM   #4

Then why don't you use 1/4" concrete board? Very little difference between that and the thickness of ditra.
Ron
Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM   #5

Well,i have some left over membrane from the bathroom... I'm just concerned that the plywood won't provide the proper base. Are you saying that the cement board is necessary? I'd still want to use a membrane on top of the cement board wouldn't I?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Well,i have some left over membrane from the bathroom... I'm just concerned that the plywood won't provide the proper base. Are you saying that the cement board is necessary? I'd still want to use a membrane on top of the cement board wouldn't I?
You don't mention how thick the plywood is. Tile reqires more the 3/4" with a double thickness edge.
Are you aware of the issues with a tile counter? Darkening around the wet areas. Staining around the stove.
You can offset that with a special grout, but I don't know if it will eliminate the issue. Maybe someone with a tile counter will advise.
Ron
Old 05-06-2011, 11:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
You don't mention how thick the plywood is. Tile reqires more the 3/4" with a double thickness edge.
Are you aware of the issues with a tile counter? Darkening around the wet areas. Staining around the stove.
You can offset that with a special grout, but I don't know if it will eliminate the issue. Maybe someone with a tile counter will advise.
Ron
yeah, hoping somone else will chime in too. not to say you haven't been helpful... On the issue of the plywood it is... (walking away to double check...) 3/4" thick.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:50 AM   #8

oh and again, i understand the longevity issues with tiling; especially concerning the grout. Like i said though, i fully expect to rip this all out in a few years. As of right now, i've spent a total of $90 to tile this and may not need to spend any more depending on the outcome of this thread. Lots cheaper than re-laminating it by myself which i have absolutely no experience doing.